Jump to content


How do you measure the size of a carb?


Recommended Posts

My set of triples are OER/SK's (Weber clones with a few refinements), just wondering how it is determined that a set is 40's, 45's or 50's. Is the measurement taken at the narrowest point near the butterfly valve or at the front where the air horn attaches?

I ask because I would like to purchase a set of air horns and those cool SS mesh filters that snap over top.

Carbs Unlimited (thanks Zedyone_kenobe) sell them as well as Peirce Manifolds but they all seem to come from one maker. They say they filter down to .009" - is that good? Is that enough or is it only for car shows?

I love the look, but I don't want to sandblast the insides of the engine for looks, I want the engine to last a long time.



Edited by grannyknot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Measure at the butterfly end, if the number isn't casted in on the bodies somewhere. I haven't tested them myself, but the mesh filters aren't recommended. They are restrictive, at least more so than the bigger K&N-style ones. Again, how restrictive, I don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.