IGNORED

Dash harness routing

KAL7467

Ok so I put my dash back into my 240 and since I numbered them all of the wiores mated up really nice. The passanger side and center console areas are ran correct and hidden from view. My question is on the driver side. Does the harness run under the steering assembly or does it kind of run up and over than come out on the left side and go to the ignition switch? The latter seems to be correct especially since the buzzer wires are very short and only seem to reach if it is run this way.Any info or pictures would be greatly apreciated. It is a 1971 Series 1 240. Thanks in advance

Anyone have a picture or two? Just looking at the wire and how it all lays not to mention the cover that goes over the ignition I am guessing it goes under because of cut-outs ion the cover to accommodative the wires and connectors. If anyone can verify that would be great.

When I did the 240z resto, I dressed the connectors in close to the column. You have to get it right and also get the wiper and indicator stalks in the right spot (forward backward along the column and rotation) before the plastic enclosure sits right. Then you have to ensure the back of the steering hub does not scrape the plastic enclosure.

DON'T TIGHTEN ANY SCREWS UNTIL THE TWO PARTS OF THE ENCLOSURE MATE AND ALL SCREWS ARE IN A FEW TURNS.

PUT THE IGNITION RING IN LAST AND NOTE THE CUT OUT IN IT.

Edited by Blue

Blue, you might also mention the one very small screw that aligns the "clamshell" (fancy name for the steering column surround pieces) to the ignition lock.

If you look carefully, you'll see that the ignition lock has a small (4-40? or thereabouts?) screw at the bottom of the lock's body. If you use this as a guide, it will position the clamshell bottom half perfectly, and you can then tighten the rest of the clamshell screws.

FWIW

E

Yup that will work fine, but if the connectors are "clumpy/lumpy"; and/or the turn indicator and wiper stalks are in too far; or out too far; or clocked funny; then there will be interference (I know from experience with each of these possibilities :stupid: )

Edited by Blue

Blue, if any of those situations exist, then the wiring has NOT been placed properly.

I guess another way of saying it is: If that location screw is difficult or impossible to install, then you've got a problem with the wiring or the location of the switches.

In all the Z's I've disassembled and re-assembled, that little set screw has been a very key indicator. The only way the T/S or Wiper/Light stalks can be mounted in too far or at the wrong angle is if you ignore the little set tab that is supposed to insert into the steering column body to position it. In fact, if you ignore that tab, you'll find a LOT of trouble in trying to get the combination switch assemblky to both tighten down AND stay in place.

And there is yet another point, if you mix-match the Wiper/Lamp half with a different year T/S side, there have been reports of mis-alignment of one or both stalks.

FWIW

E

Look at the underside of the steering column. You'll see a small oval hole right about where the Comb. Sw. mounts. That is the hole for the tab on the switch's body.

I don't recall if the small tab / pin is on the Turn Signal side or the Wiper/Light side but it's a definite bump of the same material as the body that is located on the curved part of the body. Don't have the camera handy for a pic, but once you see it you'll not forget it.

Align the body half with the tab into the hole and then tighten the 4 screws and everything lines up perfectly. The two stalks should be at the opposite ends of the vertical axis.

If you have one or the other higher than the other, then you may have a mismatched pair of T/S & W/HL halves.

E

PS If I get the camera out this weekend, and nobody beats me to it, I'll see if I can post a pic of the tab and hole.