GM HEI on an '83 zx distributor? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

GM HEI on an '83 zx distributor?

Featured Replies

I'm wondering if I can use the GM module on an '83 zx distributor?

Should work. You'll need to extend the wires from the magnetic pickup coil in the distributor to reach the G and W terminals on the module, and figure out which one is positive and which negative. And cover the hole on the side of the distributor, where the E12 module used to be.

  • Author

I was reading through some posts regarding this, but wasn't sure if it would fly on the '83 dist due to having the E12 92 module. I'm just looking to try and avoid the expense of the E12 80 if possible

The mechanical part of the distributor is basically the same regardless of the ignition module. The Vacuum advance changes from year to year. I modified my breaker plate to limit the vacuum advance to 17 degrees at the crank, but most people just disable it.

I have a chart on the site showing the different distributors that shipped, but the only breaker plate available from the dealers is the one for the 83. (As of a few years ago.)

  • Author

Thanks a bunch guys. I was fairly certain it would work, but wanted to be certain since it did come with the other module.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.