IGNORED

Thinking of Swapping a 300ZX 5sp into S30 280Z. Will it fit?

EuroDat

Hi all.

I have a 280z with a FS5W71A but the 5th gear is just about stuffed. Its whinning a bit to much for my liking and if I am going to change it I would like to upgrade to the FS5W71C

I live in the Netherlands and found someone here with a FS5W71C from a 300ZX 1985.

Most people talk about swapping the 240SX tranny and modifying the bellhousing on the "A" to clear the cluster gear, the larger bearing and one fork selector rod bore also needs reeming. No one talks about doing this with a 300ZX tranny. Is there a reason for this, maybe ratios or some other alteration in the 300ZX preventing the swap?

Any advise would be greatfull before I take the plung.

The procedure described for the 240SX transmission will work for the 300ZX trans. The reason the front case/bellhousing needs to be swapped is that the VG30 (V6) engines in the 240SX and 300ZX are tilted farther over than the L6 (straight 6) in the Z cars.

I did the swap on an 85 300ZX transmission. The cheapest method (the one I took) is to swap the countershaft bearing on the 300ZX trans. to the smaller bearing so that you don't have to pay to have the precision machining done. The other machining or grinding, and drilling work can be done by hand. If you want the bigger bearing, for more strength and/or longevity, then the bearing bore needs to be machined out, very accurately since it locates the end of the countershaft.

You'll need to modify the transmission mount also, get a shorter driveshaft, and the right shifter lever.

These links are good -

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1973-datsun-240z-11118/car-pictures/240sx-transmission-swap-14041/DSC04293JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg-266482

http://home.comcast.net/~zheimsothtn/transmission.htm

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/240sxtransmissioninstall/index.html

Thanks Zed,

Your tips are great and de links you posted are very helpfull. Ive seen the atlanticz techtips before, thats what brought me up on the idea. Its just that everyone talks about swapping with the 240SX.

My tranny is a FS5W71B with the brass syncro on 5th (see photo). Probably out of a maxima?

Nigel's photo blog is top. The difference between the two transmissions is well documented.

Cheers

post-26512-14150820064917_thumb.jpg