IGNORED

Researched - need clear electrical help and answer.

RyuZ32

I spent last night and the better half of this morning going thoroughly through all 73 pages of the electrical section of this forum.. I have a 77 280Z made in 7/77. I just scored a slightly scuffed harness out of a 10/77 so a 78.. I acquired the Fuel Injection Relay that screws in near the battery, The ECU numbers were the same, will this harness go right in? All i found was the AFM didnt have Fuel Pump Points, but my pump is on a toggle switch anyways. All help will be greatly appreciated, and Ive spent my time searching and not finding clear answers so please no Flames about searching. Im an AVID user on 300ZXCLUB so im very familiar with the search function.

Pretty sure that the fuel injection relay is by the hood release handle inside the cabin on the driver's side. It's combined with the fuel pump relay, two plugs in to one relay body. The only relay I see that would be by the battery, close to the voltage regulator (for 1977) is the seat belt relay or the AC compressor relay.

If it is a 78 harness though, you'll be missing the voltage regulator (VR) wiring. Maybe the VR is what you're thinking is the fuel injection relay, it's in a similar looking housing.

Comparing the electrical sections of two FSM's will yield more accurate comparisons I think. xenons30.com reference section will help with that.

The Fuel injection schematics for the 78 show three separate relays instead of the "pair" that Zedhead refers to that exist in the earlier 280's. There is an EFI relay, a Fuel pump relay and a Fuel pump control relay on a 78, all related to the loss of the AFM fuel pump contacts replaced by an oil pressure switch system. The FP control Relay and FP relay are in the engine bay on the bracket with all teh other relays and V. Reg instead under the dash.

Long story short, there may be some "challenges" in putting a 78 harness in your 77....