IGNORED

Oily residue...why?

rcb280z

On the F.I. L28's, the hose from the valve cover to the throttle body boot has an oily residue in it. I believe this to be normal in small amounts but mine has started to back up into, as far upstream, as my AFM. Could this possibly be my valve stem oil seals going bad?

I'm just guessing, but it could be a sign of a clogged PCV valve, which would be easier to fix than valve seals. If you look in the Emissions section of the FSM, you'll see a diagram of the flow pattern of the gases from the crankcase under different conditions. Under normal, mid-range RPM conditions, that hose adds a little bit of air to replace what the PCV clears out in tot he intake manifold. Under high RPM conditions, blow-by can push gases through both hoses, as described in the chapter. Worth a look at the diagram and a read.

My old engine did have worn valve seals and more blow-by than my current newer engine. The valve cover hose was oilier inside and my throttle body gummed up once. When I took the head off and set it aside, there was oil leaking down the valve stems on to the valve heads within hours. It burned about a quart of oil every 1500 miles. The newer engine is much cleaner, no residue in the hose.

Edited by Zed Head