IGNORED

New tool - For working on circuit problems.

ZCurves

So I have been reading (and trying to help) some of our Zed-brethren with various electrical issues and while I was at a visit to Harbor Freight today I picked up a Cable Tracker circuit tester. This jewel works in two ways, one by std. Continuity Testing and second by sending a Trace Signal down a circuit that is picked up by the receiver. The Trace Signal is pretty cool because unlike continuity testing, it is 'active' and you can follow a circuit with the receiver until it drops indicating an open circuit. I believe that this would work well with a multimeter for clearing up some of the mystery wiring we have been encountering. Best part is that this tool is $19 (probably cheaper with the 20% coupon they have available).

Harbor Freight generally has a 20% off coupon in the back of car mags, although I found mine in a Smithsonian. I thought I would put this one out there. I found it useful - maybe you will too.

post-7312-14150818894075_thumb.jpg

post-7312-14150818893545_thumb.jpg

It does work if you know how to use it. I have one, but I haven't used it much over the last couple of years. It can help in cases where someone has hacked into the wiring. However with the factory wiring, I can usually find about any wire just by using the wiring diagram.

I have had good luck using that kind of device to find the other ends of wires. I think I remember the trick is to turn the transmitter down so you can barely detect it at the other end of the wire to prevent getting off on the wrong wire. If it can't be turned down just disconnect the transmitter connection to the wire but have it very close to reduce the signal level being injected.