IGNORED

Should my 240Z have a fan shroud?

dltalfa

Yes, when my 72 was ordered the A/C was an " automatic" add on by the dealer. They also changed out the finger guard and added the whole shroud.  I don't have the belly splash pan but would like to get one.  Does anyone have an extra they want to sell. Also will the 280 z splash pan work?

Thanks

M240Z

I'm wanting a belly pan also.  I'm pretty sure the 280s will fit, everything's the same under there.  One day next week I'm going to a junk yard that has a few Zs left and see if I can find one, maybe two?  They're easy to get on/off and there are a couple of 280s on top of other cars out there, so they should be easy to get to.  If I have any luck I'll let you know.

Well I guess I'll have to make one work.  According to this there's a difference between 240s & 280s.

http://www.zcarsource.com/splash-pan-240z-260z-280z-280zx_8_56005.html

I'm wanting a belly pan also.  I'm pretty sure the 280s will fit, everything's the same under there.  One day next week I'm going to a junk yard that has a few Zs left and see if I can find one, maybe two?  They're easy to get on/off and there are a couple of 280s on top of other cars out there, so they should be easy to get to.  If I have any luck I'll let you know.

Well I guess I'll have to make one work.  According to this there's a difference between 240s & 280s.

http://www.zcarsource.com/splash-pan-240z-260z-280z-280zx_8_56005.html

No a 280Z pan will not fit you need a 240z pan I have one for my car and the 280z pan.  They are different

I think Nissan meant for the hood and belly pan to act as a shroud dose on a car with more space in that area.

Anybody know where an illustration or description of the pan might be?  I can't find it in any of the official Nissan sources, like the FSM's or the parts listing sites.

Just wondering why it's called a "splash" pan if it's meant for more than splashes.

I'll bet that you could make it work.  Drill some new mounting holes, which will probably be easier than drilling out the original broken off bolts.  And make a new hole for the radiator drain plug, if necessary.  I have two 280Z pans, but they don't have the center hole for the radiator that my new radiator needs.  So I'll be modifying anyway if I decide to reinstall it.  I think that only one bolt came out clean.

Just went and looked at mine though and realized it's three dimensional.  Two different levels of mounting points.  Not just a flat piece of steel.  So there might be more to refitting than just drilling new holes.

• Like 1

So they're that different? No way in hell different? You will save me a lot of time and probably a flat tire on my truck from the junkyard.

Thanks

Cliff

They are no way in hell different.  I would be easier to make a new one than try to make a 280Z pan fit.  The radeator core mount is different the suspention geometry, it don't fit

Depends on what you mean by "fit".

Still wondering if the pan serves more function than just splash protection.  I know it catches a lot of dropped nuts and bolts.  And pebbles and road debris.

If I ever put mine back on I'll try to come up with some sort of quick release fastening system.  Maybe holes and tab/hooks, and one or two retaining bolts.  Something that makes it easy to remove.  All those little bolts were a pain.

My 280 has one and a full fan shroud, it cools really good.  All the air from the fan comes through the radiator.

My 240 has a 280 radiator and a full ZX shroud, hopefully the ZX 8 blade fan now that the A/C pulley is gone.  I want to close up as much as I can and get all that air flow.  I may get stuck in slow moving traffic one day, behind a tractor. ROFL