IGNORED

Radio install in 280ZX problem

DC871F

Installing aftermarket CD player, cannot find power for the electric antenna.

I have the prints handy, but where do I hook power (antenna lead) from the CD player to the Car harness?

I have an 83 GL with electric tuner.

THanks

Here's an option you might consider... Don't mess with using the receiver's auto up/down of the antenna, just use the manual up/down selector. It's one less thing to fiddle with, and you'll be able to listen to music with the antenna down (useful in the car wash)

Please explain. Manual up down?

The only switch I have is the factory mid/long range button that was a seperate switch on the radio face plate.

The the aftermarket radio, I only have the antenna plug that plugs into the (car) side.

Thanks

I have determined through ringing out every wire in the antenna system, that it only can work with the factory stereo. I have installed an aftermarket antenna, wired it in and works great, just wish I could get my 2 days of ringing wires out back.

If theres a way to wire the factory antenna in with an after market system, I would still be interested in the answer, just for kicks.

hmmm.... perhaps there are differences between my 79 and your 83... On my car (with aftermarket stereo) I have a switch (factory) for raising and lowering the antenna-same with the stereo I pulled from an 81.

hmmm.... perhaps there are differences between my 79 and your 83... On my car (with aftermarket stereo) I have a switch (factory) for raising and lowering the antenna-same with the stereo I pulled from an 81.

Yes!! I remember that on mi 81 ZX, which was not a GL model. The GL's have a different system. I would have never remembered that if you didnt say something.

• 2 weeks later...

The factory original is a three wire system, blue, blue and red, and blue and yellow?

The switch routes power to the blue and red to raise the mast, blue/yellow to lower it.

Aftermarket antennas, and modern stereos don't work that way.

Today you supply 12V to the antenna, which tells it "hey, he just turned on the radio" and it raises the mast. When the 12V goes away, it lowers the antenna. The 12V isn't the SUPPLY power to the antenna, just a SIGNAL.

So you can leave the ORIGINAL antenna, and ORIGINAL switch, and raise and lower your antenna yourself.

Or you can go with an aftermarket antenna, and use the "blue" wire out of most stereo heads to have it raise and lower automatically. This blue wire is ALSO used today as the "remote" input to turn on amplifiers, etc.

HTH

• 10 months later...

Actually this car has a four wire system. One is ground, one is down +, one is full up + and the other is half up +. You can use a 5 pin relay to adapt an aftermarket stereos antenna wire but you will only be able to use full up or half up positions, not both. Find the antenna power going to the factory stereo which I believe is green. Connect it to pin 30 of the relay and connect pin 87a to the down wire and pin 87 to the full up or half up. 83 GL's have a antenna timer which will limit the on time of the power to the antenna. Connect the blue wire from your new stereo to pin 85 and ground to pin 86. The relay will then apply the antenna power to the down circuit when the stereo is off ( pin 87a and 30 are normally closed ), and power to the up circuit when the relay is energized. The timer will do the rest.

Well, through just experiencing this same thing I found there was a power feed from the stereo just like the newer aftermarket stereos have. It's the green wire in the 6 pin connector with the battery, ground, and ignition hot wires. The mid/long range switch is seperate from the stereo and you can re-mount it when you do an install and still have factory function of the power antenna. Just connect the blue wire on your new stereo to the green wire I mentioned and presto.... done deal! Mine works great with my new Pioneer stereo. Now if only Best Buy would carry 4" speakers I wouldn't have to wait to have good tunes and maybe even hear when I have a call coming in.