IGNORED

My First L28 Rebuild....:D

awolfe

This being my first complete rebuild, I'm looking for any advice before i crank this baby up for the first time.....

I do have a small, very slow drip from the oil pump (pressure regulator valve bolt) that i have to correct, Is it as simple as changing the washer?

post-23526-14150818410475_thumb.jpg

post-23526-14150818409504_thumb.jpg

post-23526-14150818410028_thumb.jpg

Put a filter on it and prime the oiling system before you try to start it. If it were me, I would also pull the valve cover back off while priming to verify proper oil flow to the cam lobes. Unfortunately the priming process requires you to pull the oil pump back off. I just went through this on my engine and here's my experiences:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?45440-Priming-New-Oil-Pump-How-to

As for your leak at the pressure regulator plug... Yes, it should be as simple as changing a washer. However, when you take the plug out, look for scoring or deep scratches on the underside of the plug head and on the mating surface on the pump body. Just in case the problem isn't the washer at all.

In addition to Capt Obvious' reply, I poured a bottle of 'Engine Honey' on the Cam right before the first start. Also make sure that the Dizzy is positioned correctly so that you are not 180 off. Be easy on her for first 500 mi and then dump oil and filter for what ever you prefer. I know there are several threads on the different oils we all use (I am an Royal Purple guy myself).

Put a filter on it and prime the oiling system before you try to start it. If it were me, I would also pull the valve cover back off while priming to verify proper oil flow to the cam lobes. Unfortunately the priming process requires you to pull the oil pump back off. I just went through this on my engine and here's my experiences:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?45440-Priming-New-Oil-Pump-How-to

As for your leak at the pressure regulator plug... Yes, it should be as simple as changing a washer. However, when you take the plug out, look for scoring or deep scratches on the underside of the plug head and on the mating surface on the pump body. Just in case the problem isn't the washer at all.

In addition to Capt Obvious' reply, I poured a bottle of 'Engine Honey' on the Cam right before the first start. Also make sure that the Dizzy is positioned correctly so that you are not 180 off. Be easy on her for first 500 mi and then dump oil and filter for what ever you prefer. I know there are several threads on the different oils we all use (I am an Royal Purple guy myself).

Thanks for the advise! I remember reading that thred once before,..... lots of great advise spread all over this site....;)

How to Rebuild your L series by Tom Monroe suggest putting only water in the cooling system when 1st cranking. Also because of no air flow he says put a hose pipe in filler hole and opening the drain on the radiator so it's not overflowing then you'll have cool water circulating. New parts cause friction creating extra heat for the first 20 minutes at 1500 rpm that he suggest. I haven't read anything on priming the cooling jackets before the thermostat opens. I guess I'll fill the block with water before installing the thermostat or just leave out the thermostat? More research! I'm rebuilding mine also as a 1st timer. Good luck with your's.

Edited by siteunseen

How to Rebuild your L series by Tom Monroe

Has this book been helpful? I have seen it many times before, but have been reluctant to buy. I rebuilt mine using the Haynes, Chiltons, and 1978 Datsun Service Manual.

I happened to luck out on ebay one day and picked up the 78, 79, & 82 service manuals in great condition, Cost me $23.50 and $16 for shipping..Total of $39.50 for all three books ...:)

post-23526-14150818443099_thumb.jpg

That book is the best step by step instructions I've ever had. He even cracks a joke every know and then. I don't know the proper term, 1st person or 2nd person, but he writes like he's talking to you throwing in short cuts when usable. $19.95 w/free shipping from amazon.com. I'm glad I bought it but you've done very well with your books it looks like.