IGNORED

Dual exhaust, well, almost.

Phacade

Got some new exhaust on my Z. I'm sure most of you now know what I'm packing from all my posts while building her last year. But for those who dont...

1973 240Z, rebuilt '81 L28 F54 block, P79 head, headers, electronic ignition, 6-1 headers, '70 SU carbs from Z therapy -w- original air box (K&N), '81 5-speed, '81 R200, strut bars front and back, polyurethane soon to be installed.

Anycase I got some new exhaust, called twice pipes, from Motorsports this weekend and had a local shop (for those of you in Tulsa, Leons in Sapulpa does GREAT work!) install it. Basically from the collector on the headers it splits into two 1 3/4" piper all the way back to two glass packs. While definatly louder than the stock system, it has a great sound. The engine is also breathing alot easier.

• 8 months later...

Whose header do you have. Motorsport sells the "Motorsport Header" and the "Three into Two header". I have been looking at the "Twice-Pipes" and am interested to see how that and the header fit into the car (in other words, do they fit out of the box or do you have to do some tweaking). Also, when the header went in, what did you do about the heat shield where the throttle linkage springs attach -- did it still fit? Details would be great.

Timberwolf, I had the twice pipes on my first car. Yes, they sounded good, that is, until the glass packs burned out. Then it drove me and the neighbors nuts! In a very short time you will have nothing more than a straight exhaust. I hope you can deal with it better than I did. I hate to rain on anyones parade, but let me know how you like it after about a month or two.

FYI, there is a guy in San Francisco, CA area that I talked to that has the 3 into 2 headers that he wants to sell, along with a 4 core radiator for 240. He just bought a new non-Z car. I would think this is the way to go if you are going to run two separate tail pipes. If anyone is interested I can pass on your email to him.

I have no financial interest in the deal just trying to connect good parts with someone who may need them.

Have fun!

Heat shield went in fine, actually I modified a '73 head shield and attached the springs directly to it. I took the twice pipes to a locl muffler shop to install, a little cutting was necessary where the twin chrome pipes poke out, but it was worth it. As far as the noise, it was noisy as hell at first but then got quieter. Now it is just a dull roar unless I really get on it.

timberwolf: did you get your z in Stillwater? I live in stillwater and i recently bought some rims from a guy who was selling a 280 very similar to yours? he he just sold it and thought it looked awful familiar. I wanted to buy it a couple months ago, but had a much smaller budget.