IGNORED

3 screw Su rebuild kits

MotoManMike

I'm getting ready to tear down my carbs on my z. I can't find the dash pot gaskets anywhere. Black dragon/msa all have the 4 screw dash pots in stock but I havn't found a kit and havn't seen any on ebay. Any ideas?

The reason you can't find any dash pot gasket is........ The dash pots didn't have any gaskets. How do I know? Mmmm just guessing. The big question for me would be why do those two companies have four screw dash pots in stock?

Well, I guess I'm showing my experience and long and behold schooled by Bruce at ZTHERAPY!!!!! I day dream about sending you my carbs :) I just can't afford it right now. I've got two sets that need some serious help. I raced ATV's for years, I'm 31 and have more metal in my right leg than is imagineable from 2 accidents. Fake knee, the whole nine. I got rid of all my race quads and got 2 240z's and the carbs are nothing like an ATV carb, well maybe the ones with a rubber diaphram on top a little. The reason why I thought they had gaskets is the kits they sell that I can see pictures of have gaskets approximatly or so I thought the same size with 4 screw holes. I'm now guessing its scale is much smaller than I thought and is actually for the float bowls and yes I feel really dumb LOL. I feel great though, my first night as a member on this site and I get schooled by you :)

Now take out a pencil and a clean sheet of paper. Write your name and the date in the upper left hand corner...... This is a quiz and it will be graded!!! nyuck nyuck

While you are in the "amass the wealth" mode I'll tell you what i tell a lot of owners. Buy the JUST SUs DVD and some float bowl lid gaskets, get three or four cans of carb cleaner and some rudimentary hand tools, borrow a couple of your wife's best bath towels, sit down at the dining room table and go thru yours. Once you have them on and dialed in as best they'll dial in, #1 you'll then know just how good they are and #2 you'll have a fairly good indicator about how strong your marriage is....

Seriously, all you guys, this Try it Yourself program will go a long way in shortening your learning curve on the carbs and by doing it and yours work fine, then you just saved a whole wad of dough....

I appreciate the information, especially coming from you Bruce. I'm pretty sure i'm capable of doing it, i've done hundreds of different ATV and motorcycle carburetors over the years, the best thing i've purchased is an ultrasonic machine. I just havn't gotten over the anxiety of disabling my fun weekend toy but since i bought another one I guess one can be down for a few days. :). Are there any sort of conerns with using an ultrasonic machine with these carbs? Any particular parts I should shy away from putting in it? I've heard of guys having items that were pressed together coming apart but i've never had any trouble.

What is the purpose of the ultrasonic machine? What does it do, how does it work? Any heat involved or dangerous chemicals? Fire and/or ice? pressure and/or vacuum? What else am I missing? Getting the correct answers generally involves asking the right questions.

That reminds me of a story relative to asking the right questions. Got a call back from a 510 owner who'd bought the JUST SUs DVD and some float bowl lid gaskets expressing dispointment that all the DVD talked about was these 2 side draft carbs. His 510 had this one down draft carb. Well, there are enough 510s out there running around with dual Hitachis on L motors that I just assumed A. he had one of them and B. If he didn't have one of them, he wouldn't have been on the phone to us in the first place. This camp counselor job can be tricky, very very tricky.

ultra sonic machines take a lot of elbow grease out of cleaning old carbs. It uses ultra sonic vibration, water, light detergent and a little heat. Think of a jewelry cleaner just bigger. They really work great. You can use them with both heat or no heat. Nothing crazy most of the time you can use just plain water in them and they work pretty well but if not I add a little simple green and boy they come out looking brand new.I've heard of guys putting atv cyliners in them and the sleeves rattling out LOL. I'll clean my carbs by hand. I don't need to take a chance ruining a 40 year old carburetor because I wanted to take a shortcut :)

That's kinda what I thought. I'd say if the cleaner isn't caustic you'd probably be alright. A little "shaky shaky hot bath" to drive the grunge out of the nooks and crannies ought to be a good thing, right? It's not going to attack the surface conformation of the aluminum pieces like media blasting so I'd say have at it. Linkage plating shouldn't be affected either, I'd suspect, that is if you have any plating left after all these years....

Once you have used an ultrasonic cleaning machine, you will hate to use any other method. We had 3 different sizes at the jewelry store for, clocks, watches & jewelry. True ultrasonics will be rather expensive and have the transducers to produce the sonic waves. Other cheap over the counter cleaners only vibrate. I don't know if they make them as big as an engine or full size car. :)

Bonzi Lon

I've seen a few the size of a mop sink in the thousands. The one I've got isn't large enough to even submerge an entire SU and it was 300 bucks. The good thing is it is true ultrasonic and if it's under water it gets clean so you just turn whatever you clean a few times until each section is submerged and cleaned up. It just takes a little longer