Engine rebuild Dilemma? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Engine rebuild Dilemma?

Featured Replies

Higuys,

The engine guy says he's about ready to take the engine out of my car, so I called a place (RPM, Central, Utah) to check on the availability of a 'Master rebuild Kit.' The guy told me the mater kits are available, but only with flat-top pistons.

I have an N42 block/ N47 head, but I'm not too experienced in telling if the flat-top pistons will work with my engine, or what affect it will have:

Can I still use regular gas? Will the engine run well on the street?

thxZ

Flat tops will raise the CR about 1.5 points in that combo making it about 9.8-1. With a 2mm head gasket, you might be able to still run regular since that would drop it back down to about 9.1-1

There is quite a lot of conversation about this combination on hybridz and the resulting detonation issues. If you must replace pistons, and you are looking for a fairly "stock" rebuild, I would find dished.

I suppose I would first want to know whether the block needs to be bored or not.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.