IGNORED

SU Carbs

olzed

I have a spare pair of SUs on a 240Z manifold. They appear to look correct except the name.

They have both got the name 'SU Carburettors Birmingham England' on the top of the float bowls.

Were other SUs made with the four stud mounting flange.?

Are they 240Z carbs?:ermm:

I'm sure that when Bruce wakes up he'll chime in. SU's licensed their design out to different manufacturers. Hitachi was one (for Datsuns) and I know that Stromberg was another on European cars. The designs were slightly different but the principle was the same. Even within Hitachi SU's I have seen different castings on the throttle bodies. Most have letter stamped on them ("ISO" I think) and some do not.

By your description it sounds like yours were actually manufactured by the SKinner's Union company.

Yes, I'm thinking they are not correct for the 240. The area at the top of the dash pot where the little plunger goes is tapered.

The same area on my 72 Hitachi round tops is straight.

I thought there was something different with the setup. The linkage between the two has been altered slightly. Shortened I think.

I'm guessing someone has replaced these for the flat tops.

It will be interesting to see how they perform. They will be bolted to a stationary engine that idles on three cylinders, so as long as they are look good and run i'm happy.

Pictures shortly.

Compared with my '72, the body of your tops look a little squashed, and the neck a little longer. Could just be the angle and/or my imagination. And, while it could be hidden, yours appears not to have a buttress of sorts on the neck.

But also one heck of a lot shinier than mine.

Chris

Jetaway.The buttress on the neck vanished when I turned it off in my lathe, and they look shiny after a good polish, also in the lathe.

The manifold and carbs were pretty cruddy, and I have been trying to spruce them up for a week. Soaked in everything I could think of, even coca cola for three days.:rolleyes: I ended up with a lick of silver paint, dabbed on with a brush, and wiped it off. Does'nt work so well on the smooth casting, but on the rough stuff, its great.

Brian.

Edit the Coca Cola myth is a myth. I had a rusty nail soaking as well and nothing happened.

Edited by olzed

Jetaway.The buttress on the neck vanished when I turned it off in my lathe, and they look shiny after a good polish in the lathe.

Well, they won't work now, I guess.

Actually, that would explain the difference. ;)

Did you try Nevr-Dull before the paint? I went out and tested some on my manifold and it did make some progress.

Chris