IGNORED

Will car still run/drive with dash removed?

1984rampage

I know this might be a stupid question, but I want to remove the dash from my 260z in order to repair it. Since I work quite a bit, I would still need the car as a daily driver.

Will removing the dash render my car inoperable? Or will it still start, run, and drive just the same?

Thanks

No ammeter = no alternator. That's probably the most critical. I'm at work, so I don't have my wiring diagrams to see exactly where the ammeter breaks the charging circuit. On a 240Z, you can't start the car without the ammeter (or shunt in its place).

You can jury-rig almost anything electrical. Believe me, I have seen it while combing through my Z cars. Of course, if you don't do it right, you probably won't have to worry too much about your dash due to the electrical fire.

Frankly, I wouldn't think it would be prudent to drive around much with gauges, anyway.

I see Zs all the time without dash boards what the drives do is zip tie or safety wire in all the gauges to the remaining framework. I think there are some guages that cause a ground which is necessary to start the car. I broke the ground on one of my cars when the dash was out. I had to start the car by crossing a screw driver to the starter, not an ideal way of starting the car.

• 4 months later...