IGNORED

interior bulb replacements

jrnyman3

Here is a video from an LED bulb manufacturer discussing how they  measure the light output, in lumens, of their bulbs.  He mentions that most of the statements you'll see on the Internet  are over-rated, and the actual output is only about 75% of what the claim is.  So beware of the claims you read on  eBay products.

I think that's the best course of action. Especially at the cost. I suspect they're going to fit great, but the color is going to be a crapshoot.

This one says "low temperature", but I don't know if they mean a lower number (like 2700K vs 6500K) or they mean lower like "cool white" vs "warm white" :

http://www.amazon.com/Festoon-White-DE3022-DE3175-Replacement/dp/B004ZVZNPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424014019&sr=8-2

And as for a homebuilt or DIY light meter? I doubt it. And who cares? Install it and see if you like it. Absolute number doesn't matter. All that matters is if you like it not. If it's bright enough for you, it's perfect.  :)

I would like to find out what those part numbers (DE3022, 3175, DE3175, etc) mean.  I presume they are just some industry designations, as the incandescent bulbs use.  The regular festoon bulb is a 3175, and the headlamp bulb is 9003.  The 31 is the length in millimeters, but I dunno what the 75 refers to, maybe the wattage (7.5)

Here is one more to bulb for you.

Nice chart.

I did a little digging into the entomology of the designation numbers and came up blank. Seems like the 31 would be length, but as for the 75, I don't know. If I had to guess, I would say maybe diameter? 7.5mm?

So when are your amazon bulbs due? You know... If you don't like the hue, you could pick up one of the warm whites from superbright that I used (the ones with the 2x3 matrix swapped from what you bought) and desolder the LEDs from both and swap them. You got nothing better to do with your time, right?  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This website --  www.donsbulbs.com -- will give you some insights into how incandescent-type light bulbs are spec'd and named.  Terminology like 'miniature bayonet', 'festoon', 'base type' and 'bulb type', as well as sizing rules, become a little more understandable.  The site also provides some comprehensive x-reference charts for bulb spec vs. manufacturers' product names.

Although it's probably self-evident to most of us, one of the primary challenges facing the LED lighting industry is the absence of beam spread.  A lot of work is being put into the development of 'lens' technologies for LED's in an effort to correct for this. An example of the problem can be found in most of the LED-type work lights that are available for automotive work.  No matter how many LED cells they have, the light is difficult to aim so that it's on-target -- intense illumination in a small zone, very little illumination elsewhere.  I have about 6, all of different design, and I don't like any of them.  I've gone back to my old-fashioned incandescent and fluorescent units.

• 3 months later...

I settled on Part Number: 3710-WWHP6.

It's a 37 mm long festoon with 6 LEDs in warm white. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/3710-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/661/.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/de3175-led-bulb-4-smd-led-festoon/238/1129/

Part number 3022-WWHP4 is the shorter 4 LED version in warm white.

the warm white is now discontinued.  What's the 4-LED bulb like?  I would like to be able to read a paper with driving directions written or printed on it.  I think that would imply 6 LEDs

Edited by TomoHawk

I settled on Part Number: 3710-WWHP6.

It's a 37 mm long festoon with 6 LEDs in warm white. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/3710-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/661/.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/de3175-led-bulb-4-smd-led-festoon/238/1129/

Part number 3022-WWHP4 is the shorter 4 LED version in warm white.

the warm white is now discontinued...

Weird. I wonder why they discontinued the warm white. Glad I got mine when I did. Wish I had bought more than one.

I don't have a 4-LED in warm white, so I can't directly answer the question. I have a 4-emitter in cool white and I don't like it. Both because it's cool white, and because it wasn't bright enough.

I assume you dug around on the web to see if there were other places to buy the 6-emitter in warm white?