IGNORED

Problems removing rear strut from transverse link? thoughts?

72_240Z

I'm rebuilding my dads 1972 240z and have hit a road black trying to disconnect the rear strut form the transverse link. I have consulted 2 manuals and it seems i cant remove the lock bolt from the underside of the strut. any thoughts on this would be helpful thanks

- Alaskan Z Owner

Put the nut back on and screw it down part way, leaving the threads on the bolt covered. Tap on the nut with a hammer to break it loose. Or use a plastic hammer to be even safer. It's the same type of tapered lock bolt that used to be used on old bicycle cranks.

After you get it out, squirt some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster in the hole to help loosen the spindle pin. Don't go much farther until you read the "spindle pin" search results.

I just did this on the weekend and once it moved it was pretty easy to pull out. However it is equally easy to mash the threads so be prepared to buy new ones and associated hardware, all of which is available at the usual suppliers.