IGNORED

1979 280ZX 2+2 Alternator with External Regulator

Candice

Hello,

My alternator has an external regulator and I was wondering if i could

convert it to an alternator with and internal regulator ? If I can is there

a major benefit to the conversion.

I have done alot of research with the local auto parts dealers and some of

them say that a 1979 280zx 2+2 is suppose to have an internal regulator and some say

external.

I have owned the car since it was new and i am under the impression that the Factory

knows best but I wanted to make sure.

also

Could someone give me the proper procedure for removing the alternator.

My car has been garaged for the last five years and I have misplaced my Chilton's manual.

Any Words of Wisdom would be Greatly Appreciated

Thank You,

Candice

If you've owned the car since it was new then the only way you should have an external regulator is if you or one of the mechanics who had worked on your car had installed one, unless there was some odd factory leftovers. Nissan went to the internal regulator in 1978. I'm no expert on the history of these cars but that would be a very odd thing to have on a 1979 car. Do you have picture?

I converted to an internal regulator on a 1976 car, but in retrospect there was no real advantage gained besides availability of parts, and maybe reliability, except for the fact that the rebuilt alternators available today usually fail at the internal regulator. An external regulator might actually be more reliable unless you use Nissan-made internal alternators.

I want to say Thank You to those who have responded

This is a 1979 and a half 280zx 2+2 GL Special Edition

My Insurance agent told me 17 years ago there was only 156 in the U.S.

I don't know if this would make a difference for the alternator.

My father did the mechanical work on the car in the previous years but he has now passed away

There are four wires coming out of the back of the alternator one is black (ground) two are white and

one is green. They then join a loom that goes into a small metal box on the passenger fire wall.

I live in Norco,

Candice

Sounds like an internally reg'd alt to me. But I think is should be one is black (ground) two are white and one is blue with that white and blue on a 'T' shaped plug. Should be the same LR160 alternator used on most 78-83 S30s, S130s, 810s, RWD Maximas, etc. Here's a link to a 1979 280ZX factory service manual: http://www.xenons130.com/files/1979%20280zx%20FSM.zip

Edited by sblake01

Thank You for the information.

I have downloaded the service manual and I am going to pull the alternator Saturday.

Hopefully I will figure out what the small metal box is on the passenger side basically

just because I am curious.

Thank You all again for the help

Happy Trails,

Candice