IGNORED

R180 with 4.11s...how streetable?

24 Ounces

Hey Guys...I am considering installing an R180 diff with 4.11s (non LSD) in my stock '72 (original 2.4 engine with no mods). I will also be installing a 5-speed with a .8 overdrive. The original 3.36 rear is still in it. I ran the numbers and with the .8 rear, and the final drive ratio will be about 3.29. I plan to leave the engine alone and am hoping the 4.11s will wake the Z up a little at stoplights. How streetable is this combination?

I installed a 4.11 R180 out of an early 80s truck into my 72 240 and it bolted right in. I have a 5-speed transmission and 205/60/R14 tires. My speedo cog isn't correct so i'm not sure of the exact speed, but I think it turns around 3500rpm at 70mph. Gas mileage may be a concern if it's a daily driver, but the overall drivability seems just fine to me. Acceleration is definitely improved IMO.

I have a '71 which I installed a 4.44 large case and 5 speed (.85 5th) back in '72. I liked it, didn't seem to affect gas mileage that much. In fact on a drive from Oregon to Florida in '75 I got 30 mpg on a long stretch of west Texas.