IGNORED

where to start?

Slight

indeed, thanks for the simple lay out.. for now I suppose I should do as much looking as I can, then eventually just make the jump and get one, check it thoroughly and pray for the least amount of hidden rust hehe

then roll with it.

oh, I was wondering what you folks thought of Yuta's 240z (that slammed/ratrod car that went viral..)

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/11/04/car-feature-gt-gt-that-240z.aspx - then

http://www.loxlee-loves-engines.com/the-heartbreaker-datsun-240z/ - now

i guess this is one of those cars that inspired me a bit, i love the aggressive vibe it gives. keeping in mind that Yuta plans to paint and restore the car.. it's still pretty cool to see the work in progress.

the interior looks sick, and i do enjoy that colour combo.. the flat gret with black/gold accents..

I know this car has stirred a lot love/hate; just wondering your opinions and why =)

Whoa!

Or maybe Wow!

Not sure how to spell exclamations.

It's not my cup of tea, but doing unto others as I hope they unto to me: It's his damn car! Whether his vision is psychosis or genius, I judge not.

Chris

Slight,

I think both of the Phoenix cars are worth checking out. The green one might have some rust on the passenger door (back low and front low) and if present, would call for the body to get a closer going over than otherwise.

The Black car sounds better, but I would have some worries about "lots of steering wheel play." Play with the toe-in enough and anything will go straight. Ultimately it depends on what "lots" means. Could be very little, just more than it had been.

So... the Green car looks as if it has been driven hard. The Black car looks like a restoration that the owner ran out of money to do. If I could only check out one, I'd check out the Black car. But $1,400 is nothing to sneeze at. If nothing else, Slight, clip and save the Black car as another "decent' car at a fair price.

Chris

I await further confirmation on the power output. Are you saying that the 240Zs used SAE Gross (which could well be true) while the 260Zs used SAE Net?

I was cleaning my 240Z one afternoon and found a butterfly smashed against it in the only dent, a small one, that it had. I joked to my son that the butterfly dented my bumper. (See photo) I was joking, yes, but not that much of a stretch.

My bumper weighs next to nothing and the mounting brackets, not much. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the bumpers and the brackets, not to mention strengthened attachment posts on a 260Z push 250 lbs. Take my "next to nothing" and make it 50 lbs (probably a little less.) and there's 200 right there.

Chris

I have 240Z and 260Z bumpers on hand, along with mounting brackets. I guess I'll just have to weigh them and see...

It's not like it's hard to convert to 240Z bumpers, which would essentially nullify any difference between the early 260Z and later 240Z.

Leon,

Check out:

http://zhome.com/History/zcarperf.html

Has records of contemporary reviews of 240Z, 260Z, and 280Zs. Horsepower, acceleration times, top speeds, etc.

Chris

Good, that confirms what I'm saying. By those numbers, the 260Z is actually quicker than the '73 240Z. It also confirms the power numbers, look at "note 1" for the 240Z and "note 2" for the 260Z. SAE gross for 240Z is 151hp, for the 260Z is 162hp. SAE gross for the 240Z is 129hp, and for the 260Z is 139hp. Thanks!

hey guys, i just found this 260z in B.C. (closer to home hah)

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=318262255&MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT&mpname=R2S&mpname=Activity-R2S&mpuid=1700142%3B122%3B318262255%3B-1178643037%3B%3B&secev=AQAAATLWh4wAAM0AAAACACIxMzJlMWJmNjAwOS5hMjBiMjZjLjNjOTkyLmZmZmMzNTNlAAAAABL4S%2B8BAAAAAgAAAAEkEBEAiLsNFckgHsHNxvR2%2FGmi4c0wRPE*

the fellow says there is no rust to be found;

- garage kept

- needs to move it out (family and no room)

- runs fine.... although it is a 4spd? what are your thoughts on that?

That doesn't look too bad, Slight, especially being from Arizona.

I had a 4 speed in my '75 from long ago, and I longed for a 5 speed. Now that I have a 5 speed in my '78, I'm not sure that it's such a big deal. I suppose it depends on where you drive it. However, my '75 with its 4-speed got along just fine on the highway.

yeah, i'm thinking this could be the one; i'll have to look into it more...

aside from rust, and certain aspects of interior...

what things should i be wary about? the fellow sounds pretty genuine over the phone heh; a few pictures show the interior .. has a few things

- half dash cap

- left side missing the arm to roll the window

- glove box loose..

- right side arm hold is a little saggy (might be fixed now though..)

Looks like a great car and the more 260's I see the more I like them!

Half dash cap.. Down here in AZ we have horrible conditions for dashes HOWEVER, repairing a cracked dash isn't too hard. I'm about to repair my cracked dash and it has been done many times (lots of write-ups on this site), the hardest part is probably removing it, which isn't bad at all.

New carpet and seats are a big plus, and overall I would say that interior should be the least of your worries, for the most part the interior looks pretty good. Restoring a lot of the interior can be done relatively cheaply. Completely replacing parts can be pretty expensive however it doesn't look like that interior needs too much replaced.

Also you mention the 4-speed, I can't say from experience but what I've heard is that until the T-5 on the 83' ZX the early Z 5-speeds aren't all that much a gain. Something about the 5th gear sharing the same tree with reverse or something like that, anyways I wouldn't worry about it too much and you can always swap!

haha, yeah thing is.. a 240z was his first car; and he seems to remember more of the headache of tuning the carbs.. oh dear. i think he's mostly worried about me paying for school so if i can show him that I can do both.. i'm hoping it will fly.

in regards to this z, red was kind of the last colour i was looking for.. but a relatively clean car.. is a relatively clean car. can't argue with the price.

what's you're opinion on paint? how much of a undertaking can that be?