IGNORED

where to start?

Slight

where to start?

i've been looking around at Z's... and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with one. but the question comes back to me, where do i start?

the aspect of rust is a little daunting... and the price of a fully restored z is.. expensive!

what do you folks think? where is the middle ground?

for a young student like me who wants to get into these cars, but doesn't want to get stuck with a rotting heap,

ie. do i start with something like http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-Modified-Datsun-280z-W0QQAdIdZ318044066

and deal with the problems as they come? learning to fix and restore? learn how to do the body work...

or should i skip the process and just save 7-8grand and find a real clean z?

anyone have any stories or advice on searching out the right z?

I agree with LeonV. I bought a rust bucket that has taken me almost 10 years to restore and only now am I getting close to finishing it. I would save up as much as you can and get something with good bones. Ideally get one that you can drive at least some times so you can enjoy it as you fix it up. Good luck.

Carl

What exactly do you want to do with the car?

A lot depends on this, however, rust is definitely the key issue as others have mentioned. I'm guessing cars are prone to rust where you are located seeing how far north you are. If you are willing to spend so much money to find one in really good condition, maybe it's worth it to expand your search? Maybe you can find one in good condition that is a ways away but a trip for the right Z could end up being a lot cheaper then saving for a restored car.

This is just my opinion but maybe you'll agree. No doubt that owning a pristine perfectly restored Z would be a great pleasure, but I think if you find a good Z that you yourself restore, it'll mean that much more. Not to mention getting to know your Z inside and out will be a big help when she runs into problems. Anyhow I believe it's more about the journey then the destination. You asked for it so here is my story, hope it helps guide you in the right direction.

When I was around ten years old I knowingly saw my first Z and asked my dad what kind of car it was, he was a big fan of the Z's growing up and always wanted a 240. A couple years later I got my first job working as a janitor for my parents at their small office. Their office was actually just an old house so it was on the edge of a neighborhood. One day after I got done working we left through the neighborhood and I saw that about 7 houses down there was an old Z car sitting by this house. I thought it was the coolest car in the world and decided someday I would get one. Eight years later, at the beginning of this year I was at my parents office re-coating the roof for them. I remembered the Z but didn't see it, just a white truck where it should've been. When I left I drove by the house just for grins. Sure enough right behind the truck the old Z was sitting where it always had! That sparked my interest in the Z's again and I begin researching them furiously and in fact that is how I came across this great site. Anyhow I become completely taken over by the Z fever and was watching craigslist constantly and checking out cars here and there but I either didn't have the money or it was a washed up Z. It then struck me to go see if that old Z near my parents office was for sale. Went to the house one day and knocked on the door a few times but no one ever came out, so I left a note. About a week went by and I never got a call so I decided to go again just for one final attempt. This time the owner was there and came out and I told him my story how I envied his Z for years, and he turned out to be a really nice guy. He showed me the car and told me that he got injured about eight years back and getting in the Z (being so low to the ground) hurt too much so he finally got a truck. According to him it ran fine and it appeared to be in great shape. Before I left I asked if he would be willing to sell it and he said make an offer. I had no clue what to say and didn't want to low ball him so I told him I didn't know. He said 1500$, but no less. I told him that I didn't have the money but if I decided I wanted to get it I would let him know. I came back a couple weeks later and gave it a thorough inspection and in fact the Z turned out to be in much better condition then I had realized or thought it would be. I had saved up about 500 dollars and was thinking about where I could get a loan. I knew in the next week I would have 800 and I decided maybe he would accept that and I felt it wasn't too low an offer so I called him up. I offered 800 and he immediately said he would except no less then 1500. Then as if in a dream he said, "but, since it's you, and I know how much you love this car. I'll sell it to you for a grand." I had honestly expected to pay the 1500 for it and was more then happy to, but upon hearing this I was ecstatic. I obviously accepted and told him I had 500 that I could put down on it right now to secure the car as mine and he said of course. The next day I asked my parents if they would loan me the other 500 so I could get it right away and start working on it sooner (as the semester was a week away from ending). They said no but then I got a text from my uncle who I had told about the car after I first found it saying he would loan me however much I needed to get it. Now that is all history and I am the happy owner of my beloved Z.

Sorry about the long story, but hopefully it will give you some inspiration. Now I'm not saying to just wait around for a Z to magically come to you, but I believe if you keep searching you will find your Z.

Good luck on your journey and everyone here is always willing to help!

no, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing.. I think I do agree too.. I'd like to get one where I can learn on.. but at the same time not be overwhelmed by a full restoration process..

As for what I'd like to do? well as far as mechanically.. I definitely like the idea of keeping the stock engine in.. as a chance to learn more about them, dealing with the good and the bad..

aesthetically.. I love the idea of the Jdm look; fender mounted mirrors, zg flares.. lowered... * Lots of ideas are Rolling around now heh

but yeah..*

oh I was wondering where do you look replacing parts?

like I'm just thinking knowing what certain things cost is good.. *ie. A new dash is about $1200?

aside from that I guess I'll just keep searching forums and learning =)

Well let me tell you, when I bought my Z I had VERY basic car knowledge and I mean very basic. Now just four months later I feel completely comfortable taking my Z completely apart and putting it back together. They are not hard cars to work with, AT ALL.

As Healey said, go check out a lot they are all over and you'll find the right one, just make sure you watch for rust and a straight body.

As for parts, you can get most normal parts at local auto stores. The rest are readily available online from quite a few places. Rockauto is a good online resource, however I found usually it's cheaper to get parts local because of shipping. Motorsport auto has just about everything you can think of for your Z.

New dashes are one of the most expensive parts for the Z cars, however there have been MANY more then successful repairs on dashes even with bad cracking for under 100$.

There are tons of Z resources out there and don't be afraid to ask here.

Healey, in SOME places it would be very hard to FIND 10 rust-free Z's, let alone find them for sale!

Slight, you should probably start out looking at a couple of Z's that need quite a lot of TLC. Don't fall in love with them, and don't buy them. Consider this sort of like the blow-off job interview that gets you warmed up. Study how/where they've rusted and how they're falling apart. Then you'll have a better idea what to look out for in a more decent Z. Then watch and wait.

Hi Slight, good luck with your search for a Z. You might consider getting acquainted with other Z owners near where you live. All the better if there is a local Z club. That way you might get to know a few people who have been there & done that with a Z. Hopefully someone can show you firsthand where these cars tend to rust and how to deal with it. Same with making mechanical & cosmetic repairs. Then, when you do get a Z, you will know a bit about them and have others who may be able to lend a hand when you start to tackle the repairs.