IGNORED

Starter "excite" wire

frenaud

1976 280z:

I've just replaced my starter and for fome reason it won't crank anymore. I've narrowed it down to my "excite" wire on the solenoid.

I've rigged a switch connecting the + battery to the male connector on the solenoid spade, so I turn the key and flip the switch for a second or two and presto!

It's a bit annoying and probably not very safe. Where does the excite wire lead to? I see it going into a mess of other wires that are all electric-tapped together. But I'd like to know if anyone could tell me where it ends up before I start taking everything apart.

I've just had the start and solenoid rebuilt.

So the wire goes to the switch on the steering column? I'm gonna test it for continuity. If it's good I might be tempted to replace my key-ignition with a push-button ignition (is that even still available?).

I guess I just have never been one to add something to cover up a problem. I've always been one to find and fix the actual problem. As far as this being a "common fix on old cars not just z cars", well I've owned several of both and the only cars I ever had Ford solenoids on were the Fords I owned that were supposed to have them.

Unless the wiring for the starter has been really modified, you should be able to find the original wire that connected to the starter solenoid, and extend it as necessary. Since you are willing to start adding relays and other new wires, you might have to dig into the wiring harness to find the original wire, or restore the starter system as it initially was.