IGNORED

Round Tops vs. Flat Tops - Float Bowl Volume Capacity

Upon request, I have measured the fuel capacities of a typical round top and flat top carb. Note that due to shortcuts I took to make the measurements easier, I'm not claiming accuracy to the cc here, but the results should be fairly accurate.

Here's the round top:

roundcapacity1.jpg

roundcapacity2.jpg

And here's the flat top:

flatcapacity1.jpg

flatcapacity2.jpg

The bottom line is that they are close, but it appears that the flat tops have a greater capacity in the float chamber.

Hi Bruce,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your question... What we're trying to show here is the volumes of the two float bowl chambers.

This spawned from another thread that was discussing differences in the design of the venturi bridge between the round tops and flat tops. At request from Blue, I made the measurements above.

Could you do me a favour and post the volume/capacity of the flat top and round top carbs if you have a chance?

I wasn't sure if it would have been better to post this in the original thread, but since it really had nothing to do with the content of that original thread, I thought it would be better posted in a new thread. Here's the original thread where the request came up:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?43440-SU-Bridge-Evolution-Round-Top-vs.-Flat-Top-(Comments-welcome)

No, no... Don't worry about the float volumes. Those measurements I took were with needle valves and floats installed and working as used in application. I was thinking about it and was giving myself a headache trying to decide if there was validity in measurements without floats and Archimedes appeared to me in a vision and made fun of me because I couldn't figure it out.:stupid:

So I just bit the bullet and did it with valves and floats installed. I didn't spend a lot of time getting the float levels spot on, but they're pretty close. (That's one of the "shortcuts" I allowed myself to take.)