IGNORED

Electronic Ignition Help

matt240Zee

Thank You dhoneycutt

how do you find the performance of the electric ignition?

I couldn't be happier with performance. The car starts easier, virtually no maintenance. What more could you ask for? The XR3000 replaces the points in the stock distributor with an optical unit. If I had the money I would go with a Mallory Unilite distributor. Maybe when I do a rebuild of the motor somewhere down the road in the future? I've heard good things about the pertronix system also.

I'm running at Mallory Unilite dizzy with Mallory Hyfire 6AL CDI box.

It works well but it is known to be sensitive to high voltage but so far it works good.

I would not recommand this setup if I had to do it again.

Instead I would recommand either to convert your current dizzy to remove point with optical or hall sensor (pertronix unit seems to do that well), I would lock advance on dizzy and I'll get an MSD AL6-2 to manage the ignition. I don't know however how this setup can handle advance with vacuum (probably it does and you'lll lose torque & efficience at low/mid throttle)

Next optimal option would be to go distributorless with XDI ($$$$) or Megajolt but it is more involving and you lose the classic look of a dizzy.

All that I did was replace the points with the optical components included with the ignition system and replaced my stock coil with the Crane PS91 coil. Followed the instructions including the ones which said to place a jumper wire across the ballast resistor. I know this sounds very simple, but it really was! I have been real busy with work and church so I have not had the time to look to see if I have a saved copy of the write up I did. I will still look for it tho. I hear the Petronix conversion is just as easy or easier. Several people on this site have used or are using it. I am very happy with the crane system. Hope that this helps some.