IGNORED

Choke Lever Help

72240Z

My 2/72 240Z has the oh-so common problem of having broken the console near and at the choke pull. I think first it broke off the front mount, then Dad took it to the dealer who drilled a hole through that and put in a 6mm bolt with a nut to retain it. Over time and usage, the console ended up breaking completely from the lever slide slot toward the driver's side as well as towards the ashtray.

I've now repaired the breaks from the underside with fiberglass and they're barely noticeable on top.

The problem I now have is that the forward post that is supposed to provide a mounting point is about 1/2 the height it should be, and cracked to boot. The rear one is "only" stripped out. I've been thinking about cutting off the remains completely and creating a cone-shaped piece with a wide base to better support the mounts at each spot. Probably make them out of plastic and try to glue them on somehow? Anybody have a better idea?

I was discussing this dilemma with a co-worker who thinks that there was an updated bracket available with a better mounting system, but I haven't found proof of it. I found info in an old thread about making a braket, but no specifics or pics. Any guidance is welcome.

Thanks,

devin

Like Steve, I mounted mine to the transmission tunnel with a bracket I made. You can do the same. If you have the latest Nissan Sport magazine, there is a blurb in the RPM column about a bracket you cam buy if you don't have the desire or wherewithal to make one.

Thanks for the replies. I really hadn't been looking to re-invent the wheel. I can easily design and build a bracket to mount it to the floor, but for 25 bucks, the one posted by manny is worth the asking price. I had intended to remount it to the console, but the floor is a much better idea. I had already searched for info when I posted, had read posts about putting it on the floor and not wanted to change it if I didn't have to. Now it looks like it is the best option.

Devin