IGNORED

Adding some front speakers.

philbar73

Adding some front speakers. I am leaving the stock radio but adding a power amp under the passenger seat. I’m putting 2, 8” speakers in the back in the original locations and 2, 2 ½” midranges in the front. Maybe add some tweeters later. I will be able to plug in almost any source to the amp, an iPod or navigator along with the radio.

post-20445-14150815420552_thumb.jpg

Interesting. I thought of this too but only in the context of a 5.1 system. I beleive you'll have to add tweeters outboard of those mids to project better imaging. I ended up building a cabinet that sits between the seats and strut towers holding a 10" sub, 6.5" mid-bass and two tweeters. The front mid-bass sit in 1" thick spacers mounted over the lower door hinge holes (for depth) and tweeters are up in the metal finisher just left and right of the defrost vents. All are JL Audio driven by a Brax/Helix 5 channel amp. There is two layers of 'second skin' foil dampner/acoustic foam/sludge. That made as much of a difference in sound quality as anything else I could have done. At the end of it all these are old noisy cars with crappy acoustics. Better to spend your money on quality equipment for the home.

You are right about not going nuts setting up a sound system in such a loud car. I'm hoping I can here the music. I didn't with the one stock 5" speaker in the back.

I will be adding foam and such. I was not going to address the sound system yet but with the windshield out it looked easy to mount the front speakers. It would be almost imposable to do this with the windshield in. I'm hoping to get the windshield instaled in the next few days. Then I can insure it and go for the first test drive in 30 years.

I'm Happy!!!!!!