IGNORED

1975 one owner California 280Z...finally up&running, sort of

chaztg

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i443/Z7375pb/1975%20280Z/

I love the "god-forsaken state" of California, as it's been referred to on this very website...but at times in its infinite possibilities bestows gifts like the one you can view via the link above: a one owner 280Z (1975 is a smog-test exempt model year, I'll smugly admit), which was sitting for an undertermined number of years. I bought it off eBay a few months back. Just got the chance to really work on it. I installed the new EFI fuel management and it works great--I haven't even fine tuned it yet! No rust, no patchwork repairs, no previous altering, cutting, chopping, modifying, bastardizing, trying-to-change-it-into-a-Corvette attempts done by dipshits...AN UNMOLESTED Z Car, and even though it's a 280Z, I still consider it a true representation of the classic vehicle. It just needs a clutch and some hydraulics bled. Too bad the AC doesn't work. I suppose one can't have it all.

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i443/Z7375pb/1975%20280Z/

... and even though it's a 280Z, I still consider it a true representation of the classic vehicle.

Wait a minute, there! There's nothing humble about a 280. No need to make apologetic sounds. Some people prefer the 280 to the 240. You've got fuel injection, which is a wonderful thing when it works right. In fact your '75 has the very FIRST fuel injection in the Datsun lineage, and although it's not the BEST fuel injection, I personally believe the intake system on that year is the prettiest. Also, while the 240 may be a better sportscar, the 280 is a better GT. If you're actually going to drive the thing on a daily basis, as I do, that's a very good thing. Both models (and also the transitional 260) are good machines and good examples of what they are. So be proud! Don't think of your 280 wistfully as a 240 look-alike with different bumpers. Think of it as a 280!

Looking at your pics, I see your EFI retrofit. Is that a MegaSquirt system? Please share all your experiences with it. A few of us have been talking about making the conversion.

Oh.... And welcome! :)

Edited by FastWoman

Thanks for the welcome, thanks too for the interest. Yes running, no not driving to clarify for ThreehZ. I don't have a clutch yet or hydraulic fluid for that matter. It could be only the slave cylinder, I don't know....that would be one of those pleasant surprises in the form of "great, it's not going to be as much work as I thought!" I do love this 280, although my 240 colors run very deep. Best year made in my opinion and indeed a better driving vehicle than earlier Z cars. I bought it for the price mainly, and with no pre inspection, just from photos on eBay--that's a first for me. But the car turned out to be pretty solid and more or less original, other than the alloy wheels, radio & front spoiler. These are all going away anyway. I've already removed the bumpers to go to a more euro appearance and for weight-savings. I received new vinyl seat covers with the purchase. This car even had the original 4" square "pink-slip" style CA title. I'm really happy to have a car already equipped with EFI, that being said I opted to change it which was another big decision for me because I like stock original or at least original looking. It's still early on, but I think its clear enough for me to sing the praises of the aftermarket EFI I chose to replace the stock Bosch L-Jetronic, which is let's face it old technology. The system I bought is not Megasquirt or Haltech, it's an SDS EM4D (Simple Digital Systems is the manufacturer). It's programmable, but I haven't gotten to that step quite yet. The installation manual is expertly written and easy to understand; their phone & email tech support is awesome. I had some questions about the fuel injectors and throttle position sensor choice & installation and the guy who helped me was great. I bought the basic system (fuel control only); but the system can be upgraded and adapted for fuel, spark, boost retard (if you're running turbo), you can run it with an MSD...you just tell them what you have and they'll construct the system for you. All that's needed is to install it. There's minor customization required, like for the intake and for mounting sensors, running and connecting the wiring. But the payoff is no bulky air flap AFM and doing away with the usual troubles that come with the stock EFI, which I'm sure is wonderful when it works. From the outset, I couldn't get the vehicle to stay running with the stock EFI and it would have been $$$ to troubleshoot & throw parts at it, so I went aftermarket instead. I asked SDS to include a fan switch which automatically turns on an electric fan at a preset temp and a fuel pump relay which in my opinion is prudent for safety and is something that should be controlled by the ECU. This is going to be my wife's car. She loves my 240, but that car is an animal in lots of ways, so my whole intention for this 280Z is to make it into a refined, safe (as safe can be) & dependable daily driver. We'll paint it, replace all the seals and maybe in time even get the AC working again--oh yeah, the SDS EFI allows for running AC too with different settings in the programmer to compensate for the idle drop & so on. This is a fun & different project for me. Thanks again for the interest & I hope it helps some folks