IGNORED

Headlight Conversion - Headlight Bucket Modification

twsutt

For those of you that have done a headlight conversion; have any of you modified your headlight bucket (behind the headlamp, not the sugar scoop) to be able to easily swap out new H4 bulbs without having to remove the whole assembly? I've been looking at my bucket and contemplating cutting about a 3" diameter hole at the back, but I think that the bracket holding the tension spring might be too close to cut out the back of the bucket. Has anyone successfully attempted this or will I still have to pull the whole assembly to change a bulb?

Thank you,

No, I'm running my H4s in the stock buckets. If you are running normal wattage bulbs with relays (so the bulbs get consistent voltage), the bulbs last a good long time, so I'm not too worried about making it easier to change them. I've had mine in the cars for 4 1/2 years now, haven't lost a bulb yet.

And they aren't all THAT hard to get out, anyway. At least not on my 240Z. Turn the wheels all the way, four Phillips screws and it's out. I probably drop mine out once a year for cleaning.

Thanks Arne.

I plan on using 55/60W H4 bulbs in a Bosch E-code (ECE) Housing with a relay harness. I've got all the materials but was thinking that the H4 bulbs might need to be replaced more often - this thought process is based on my wife's Volvo S60 which I have to change out the bulbs at least once a year because of the "always on" style of daytime running lights. I usually drive with my headlights on because I have a silver Z and apparently silver Zs are invisible against concrete and pavement, but my Z gets considerably less drive time than my wife's daily driver.

Fortunately, I was able to remove my headlight assembly without tearing the headlight gaskets...the only casualties were the inch long mounting tabs that fit through the tiny holes in the headlight bucket to hold the gasket in place during assembly. I'll be reusing the old gaskets, however, if I had known about this prior to disassembly I would have ordered a set of gaskets. Excellent advise.

• 5 months later...

well if you look into the 79-83 buckets they are cut out in back unlike the s30. so you can easily swap out the bulbs. i apparently must be the first to think of this idea. i noticed while looking for replacement buckets on ebay that the 280zx which uses the same headlight had an opening in the back. i will be doing the swap hopefully this weekend. i was thinking the same thing as you were.

i have attached a picture of the buckets i just purchased.

post-20116-14150816933784_thumb.png

That may be OK with sealed beams but with an H4 / replaceable bulb assembly, not a great idea.

Even with a later 280Z with the inner fender shield you still have the issue of dirt and moisture.

Even with sealed beams make sure to use dielectric grease on the three prong connectors.

Keep us updated on how that works out.

i will keep you guys posted. the nice thing is that you won't have to hack your buckets and you are replacing it with a Z part. and with the boot that goes over the back of the headlight casing i see no reason dirt or anything could get in. if you were to be concerned with that then you could also add inner fenders.