IGNORED

no spark or electrical components

zdude1967

I have a 1974 260z with a external starter button.Usually you turn the key to the on position and hit the button and it starts. If the key is not in the on position the car will turn over but not start. Seems the key being on ignites the spark and allows the electric to flow to the components. I just put the engine back in and when I put the key to start usually the electrical components become live. Usually at this time the defroster light come on if the defrost is on as well as the choke light or wipers if they are switched on. Now nothing no spark either. Anybody have any ideas as my electrical knowledge is zero.This starter button arrangement was in the car when I bought it so I have no idea how it is wired.,......Help

Lacking more information, here is my guess. The previous owner bypassed the starter circuit on the ignition switch, either because of a problem in the ignition switch, a problem in the wiring, or out of questionable taste. ;)

When you put the engine back in, you probably missed a connection, likely to one or both of your fusible links. Another possibility is that you shorted a circuit or multiple circuits during the reconnections and blew your fusible links.

Since you lack electrical knowledge, I'm not sure what kind of help you're expecting, no offense intended. The easiest things for you to do are to re-check your connections and inspect your fusible links. You can see all of the connections and find the fusible link connections in the FSM. If you don't have a copy of the FSM, look at the links below. That aside, I would suggest tracing circuits with a voltmeter or noid light to see where the problem is. Also, consider making friends with someone who understands electricity, so he/she can help you with the diagnosis.

Added: How could I forget? Check your grounds, too! Missing a ground will cause your circuits to be deader than a doornail.

Edited by SteveJ
Forgot to mention grounding as a possible problem...

Steve,

Thanks, how do I find the grounds.The fusable link cover had water in it when I took the cover off. OUCH,even with no electrical knowledge that seems bad. I will pull the links dry them and check the connects. How many grounds are there and where are they.

Thanks

Honestly, I couldn't tell you off of the top of my head. I'd have to go through the wiring diagram to verify. Follow the negative cable off of the battery. That will lead you to the primary chasis ground.

When you're cleaning the fusible links, it's good to use a product like Caig Deoxit to clean corrosion off the connector. You can find it at Radio Shack, many other electronics stores, and Amazon.com.