IGNORED

wheel cylinders

Patcon

I was working on one of my z's it is a 1970 240z that I am trying to get back on the road. I replaced the master cylinder, but can't bleed the rear wheel cylinders. I can bleed them at the hose in the wheel well but not out the bleed nipple. The nipple is clear. So I figured I would just rebuild them because the car may end up as a parts car, but there is no rebuild kit offered for the 70-71 wheel cylinder. I have plenty of 72-76 wheel cylinders laying around but didn't know if they would work in the 70-71 backing plate.

Thanks, Charles

Charles,

Yes different - unfortunately. Up to 5/72 the brake line enters the wheel cylinder at a straight 90 degree. 5/72 and up to 7/75 (I believe) the line enters at about a 35 degree angle. The complete wheel cylinders for 5/72 and up can be retrieved from Auto Zone for $39.95 each (I am not plugging AZ - just got them there and was shocked they had them) - Nissan is "NLA" on the wheel cylinders. I installed the "angled" ones on my 4/72 and had to gently "bend" the brake line but had no problems after that. Hope this helps. David, '72 240Z - Fort Worth, Texas

Well the best I can tell the wheel cylinders have already been swapped out. The brake line enters the wheel cylinder on one end but the surface is turned out about 20 - 25 degrees. Any thoughts on the wheel cylinders from autozone? I figured the rebuild kits from black dragon or rock auto would hold up better, but it may not matter. The price for complete cylinders is not bad if they are still available for that, and definitely easier than rebuilding and not much more. Most of the wheel cylinder units I have seen are in the high $60's to $90's each. That is more than I want to put into this car right now.

Thanks for the info,

Charles

Hi Charles, have you inspected the inside of the wheel cylinders? If the inside bore is badly pitted you are better off replacing the wheel cylinder. Chances are it will leak even if you rebuild it. If the bore looks good then you might check ebay. I recently purchased a pair of rebuild kits for a reasonable price on ebay.

I rebuilt the rear cyclinders on my 72 a while back using a parts store rebuild kit and they leaked a little. I recently replaced them with the Autozone cylinders and they seem to be good quality and are leak free. I did have to bend my lines a bit like David mentioned above but it was simple.