Freshly painted 77 280z - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Freshly painted 77 280z

Featured Replies

hi all-

Obviously I don't normally post here (not sure I ever have, actually), but I've been reading religiously since I began restoring my early 77 280z (6 years ago). Well now I have something to post about, because I just got my z back from paint. I couldn't bring myself to do the Earl Scheib thing OR the $7k high-end shop thing, so i went somewhere in between. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so if anyone has been looking for an affordable, reputable, locally owned shop, let me know.

Anyway, I went with a Ford GT color- Midnight Blue, with a satin black stripe. I've already been asked a few times why I didn't do a dual Wimbledon White stripe, and really, I was just going for simplicity & subtlety- I wanted a single, low-contrast stripe, and I made sure to measure the width of the stripe in ratio to the other dimensions of the car body. I'm happy with the way it turned out, and it's made me nuts about my z again- can't leave it alone now; new dash cover and aluminum pedals went in today, stereo tomorrow.

I highly recommend anyone considering painting their z just go ahead and do it- it's worth it, if only to remind yourself why you got into the car hobby and to give you a kick in the arse to finish your project.

thanx for reading!

post-10760-14150814529951_thumb.jpg

post-10760-14150814525815_thumb.jpg

post-10760-14150814526764_thumb.jpg

post-10760-14150814527557_thumb.jpg

post-10760-14150814528373_thumb.jpg

post-10760-14150814529108_thumb.jpg

I'm in the same boat, not wanting to take my 240Z to Maaco or do the 7-8k paint job since at that point I'd be afraid of chipping the paint. I'd love to hear a recommendation for a good SF Bay Area paint shop. Your Z looks great!

  • Author

Thanx, Leon! I went to Miracle Collision in Alameda- check them out on Yelp!, they seem to have a lot of great reviews. They mostly do collisions/insurance type work, but they seem to get a lot of vintage cars through the shop and have no problem spending time with you working to get what you want, and they understood my budget.

Cool, it's across the water from me, but I'll make sure to check them out when the time comes. I really appreciate the info!

Wonderful looking paint job that was done. Looks spectacular.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Looking good! I'm almost there myself.

Very nice!! My 260Z is at the paint shop now, I hope it turns out as nice as yours.. Enjoy it!!

  • Author

What color are you going with?

Very nice!! My 260Z is at the paint shop now, I hope it turns out as nice as yours.. Enjoy it!!
  • 3 weeks later...

The car looks outstanding! I like the lone stripe as well.

Great looking paint job! Did the car have any rust issues? Just curious if you can share the cost of doing this? TIA

What color are you going with?

Nissan Monterey Blue.. The 370Z's are available in this color. The shop tells me the bodywork is done, all I need is a hood and it may have color on it by the end of next week!!

  • Author

thanx!

no rust issues, just some surface stuff, which they sanded and treated. all in, it cost me $2400- that includes door jambs, etc, as well as painting my spare hood off the car, and the stripe, which was $400 alone. I just got the car color-sanded at a local detail shop, and it looks like a much more expensive paintjob now- no more orange peel.

Great looking paint job! Did the car have any rust issues? Just curious if you can share the cost of doing this? TIA

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.