IGNORED

Finally replaced my twice pipes

5150 will

When I got my car, my twice pipes and glasspacks were pretty well toast. I liked the way they sounded, but way too loud since one actually had a hole in it and the first start after 23 years of storage pretty much blew out any of the rest of the packing. I had a guy here locally do the work for me and I'm quite happy. He ran the over under section a lot tighter than the original set up and it sounds really nice. Maybe a little loud on hard acceleration for some, but at cruise it sounds fantastic. I'll post a couple pics

post-22460-14150814522748_thumb.jpg

post-22460-14150814523434_thumb.jpg

24oz- My guy replaced everything from the exhaust manifold back. As far as the story goes, kinda O.T. but the lady I got it from bought it from original owner in '73 with a little over 7k miles on it. She and her husband, her mostly, drove it up until about '87 and just under 81k miles. They ended up buying another car and the Z was relegated to barn storage. Lady's husband was a mechanic by trade and kept the Z in awesome mechanical condition. Husband passed away about 6 years ago.

Fast forward to Sept 2010 and I was selling a '77 280z and my secretary sees it. She starts telling me about a good friend of her's that has a '70 or'71 240z she has had in storage for a long time and she wants to sell it. I got her number she says she needs to move the car from the place she had it stored(now outside, but tarped) she tells me how much she loves the car and wants it to go to someone that will bring it back to life. She tells me where to go see it. I check it over thoroughly and give her a call back. She sells it to me for a GREAT price and I go pick it up with my daughter on a friends trailer the next day. It is rust free(really) and runs great now. I've got all the original manuals, original radio, some maintenance receipts($9.84 for a valve adjustment in '73 at the dealer!!!), and every registration card back to '73.

Now all I have to do to fulfill my obligation to the lady I bought it from is take her to A&W cruise night in Lodi for a burger!!! Looking forward to it.:D

Good to hear! I like the way your exhaust tucks into the valence, looks like a clean job. Are you using the stock manifold, and if so did you get a new collector pipe to hook up to the manifold or did you reuse the old one?

I'm thinking of going with a system similar to ChrisZ's, with twin pipes hooked up to my Clifford header (or maybe stock manifold) utilizing 2 glasspacks per pipe. You only have 1 pack per pipe, so I may go with that if there isn't much highway drone and it's not too loud, except of course at higher throttle openings/engine speeds.

Thanks for the feedback!

Leon, I'm using the stock manifold with the original collector pipe. He cut the original collector pipes about 4" or so downstream and welded the new pipes to them. If I ever decided to go the header route, it would be really easy to add it in but my engine is stock, so I don't see much need for a header.