IGNORED

205/50ZR15 on the track?

steve91tt

I am in the market for a set of dedicated track rims and tires for my 240Z. I am currently running Eibach springs, Tokico shocks, larger front and rear sway bars. Rebello 3.0 under the hood.

I like what I have read about the Toyo RA1 tires but I am not sure what the best size would be for my setup. I'm liking the sound of a set of 205/50ZR15's on a set of 15x7's like this...

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/WWC19/25-1067

I think this should get me the grip I need without rubbing, coil overs or fender rolling. It should also give me a little lower gearing as the radius of these tires are smaller than stock. Lower gearing would be nice as I have the stock R180 in the rear. The smaller wheel and tire is also lighter and cheaper.

I haven't read about anyone running this sort of setup at the track. Is there a down side I'm not considering? Is there something different I should be looking at?

We have used 225/50R15 on 15X7 wheels at the track with our 240Z without any problems. The front only has space for about 3.5" backspace (0 offset with 7" wide wheels). The rear is ok at 4" backspace. We have not had any problems with the tires rubbing on the body and we did not roll the fenders.