IGNORED

Door panel installation

Reverend

Hiya

Im about to install my original door panels WITHOUT the rivets. All the rivetholes on doors are somewhat busted so they wont hold, also the rivets in panel dont stay in place, cardboard is ripped in those places. Has anyone experience installing door panels "other" way?

I can't remember where someone suggested me to use this http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1016-3m-5313-butyl-strip-sealant-20mm-x-10m.aspx to attach the panel to the door. I got small piece of this butyl strip and it seems very sticky. It suppose to be weather resistant.

Thoughts?:bulb:

I repaired the fastener holes with Fiberglass Resin and then used Polyurethane to completely waterproof the remaining panel.

For the replacement fasteners, I used an off-shelf set that fit the panels and were a wee bit larger for the hole in the door. I believe they were for Dodge Trucks. The fit is perfect - got them at Advance Autoparts.

I like the industrial strength velcro idea that Hogie mentioned too! In other projects, I have used Dual Lock that is made by 3M - this stuff has incredible Shear strength and the adhesive sticks like crazy, you almost have to remove it with floss. It is almost Evil -but in a good way! Here is a link: 3M Dual Lock

Whatever you do, make sure to cover the inner door with some heavy ply plastic to aid in protection from H2O.

Good Luck

Edited by ZCurves

That dual lock is also an option, but it seems a bit too weak, it sticks to the metal but the contact surface (furry) does not convince me. (i use to work with those in my previous job)

I guess im going to try out that butyl strip, it costs a lot (29€/4meter roll) but its worth a shot. I'll report the results.

Curves: how did you sealed the panel with polyurethane? Did you coated it with it or?

Curves: how did you sealed the panel with polyurethane? Did you coated it with it or?

While I was recovering the door panels (with a kit from TooIntenseRestoration), I did the Fiberglass Resin first, then I simply brushed on the Polyurethane (2 coats). I finished up by painting the metal shell on the top of the panels. When everything had dried for a few days, I installed the re-upholstery kit.

IMHO, I would try alternative fasteners before using the Butyl - That stuff is horrible to work with.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...