IGNORED

Fork oil in SU dashpots?

As I continue to learn the many joys of tuning and balancing SU's, I got the thinking about my dashpot oil. I have always used straight 20W motorcycle fork oil. It seems way too difficult to lift the dashpots (enough force that my wife couldn't lift them) when the engine is cold. My most recent tuning/tweaking attempts have me running very strong right through the powerband, up to about 5,500 rpm, but I have the slightest bit of hesitation when I back off the gas (for cornering, etc.), then get back on it.

Could this relate to the viscosity of my dashpot oil? I have read recently about some people using a combination of 20W or 30W oil cut down 50% with light oil. Constantly tweaking is fun, but I am so close, I'm wondering if I should try a different oil mix before I try anything else. I plan to get the car on a dyno soon, and I'd like to make sure I am using the best possible dashpot oil viscosity for the cold MA climate before I do.

Thoughts?

Bruce,

Is there any problem using SU Zennith Damper oil?

Mike

That's what I used when I had my Roadster. Used to buy it at a British auto parts shop in Ontario, Ca. that's now closed. The best oil is what works best in your car, in your area. Some people like 3-in-1, or ATF, or proper SU oil but the thing is these are mostly 20W or 30W. Use lighter weight to get the damper to rise faster, and vice versa. Edited by sblake01

Bruce,

Is there any problem using SU Zennith Damper oil?

Mike

The only reason I'd counsel against the Zenith oil is that it's British and by definition will end up leaking on the ground.

Oh, look out, run, Here comes Arn carrying his "my british car didn't leak" banner!! nyuck nyuck

If you've ever owned British, you probably know what this is about. If you've never owned British, count your blessings and move on folks. Nothing to see here.....

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am going to try a few different things, starting with ATF (thanks Bruce) and see what I feel. Ive always thought the fork oil just seemed too thick. Doing my internally regulated 60 amp alternator upgrade this weekend, I plan to get to the carbs too. Just to be clear, the Z Therapy carbs are great, and the car has run really excellent since I fine tuned them.

I just cant resist constantly playing with fuel, timing.....really everything, in my quest for more power! Thats the fun, right? :laugh:

I have though about using fork oil but hav enot tried it. There are multi viscosity fork oils available. Perhaps it will help even the cold to hot changes.

I tried the SAE 20 3-in1 oil. It works ok. It seems to get consumed faster that engine oil.

I ended up using 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil. It works as good as the others and I always have some since that is what I use in the engine.