IGNORED

HVAC help

260 z

My 260 was manufactured in May 74 and someone put an ac system in around Sept 74. I am refreshing this car and still have the York F-209R compressor with R-12. The only place that I have seen parts for it is on ebay. It works today but I don't know about tomorrow!!

Has anyone changed out their old York, and what did you go to??

Thanks David, I called them today but they said they have never provided a system for my car and only sold complete systems and parts for their units.

My problem is the nuts that holds the expansion valve on to the evaporator core are almost oxidized away. I would like to replace the expansion valve with a new one before putting the assembly back in the dash. The core was made by Clardy Mfg. but they are out of business. I searched the INTERNET but no luck finding a core manufacture that will make less than 50 units nor anyone that has a cross reference to Clardy's type C4 parts number 075323. I read an old thread from 2005 that stated the z did not have factory air until 78 or 79. Does the dash from a 79 fit in a 74 ?

Has anyone ever cut the nuts off, installed new ones and then had the tubing re-flared for the o ring seal????????

Actually, 1974 was the first year for factory air in an S30 in the U.S. with the intro of the 260Z. There were also many with aftermarket or 'dealer installed' air like yours.

Edited by sblake01

All my digging paid off yesterday. I found these three companies that will repair, replace or exchange the evaporator core in the older cars.

Air Pro in Georgia 972-288-8888

Arizona Mobile Air 602-233-0090

Factory Air 210-732-9984 in San Antonio Texas I spoke to them and they quoted $125.00 plus freight to repair my core and put a new expansion valve on it. They said they would do it while I waited 2-3 hours. I had nothing planed for the day...so I went for a drive to San Antonio. Three hours later, Jose looked at my core, went to the back room and came out with a service run R134 that would fit into my case. I would have to change the hoses to the compressor and dryer, but I was doing that anyway. He also gave me a replacement expansion valve and said...How about $50.00, I said SOLD and was on my way back home in less than an hour, and I saved two weeks time and $25.00 after paying for the gas. These guys were great to work with. They gave me my old core back and said if I wanted to repair it, mail it to them and they will return same. Because to tubes were so small, they said it would not work as well with the R134 as it did with R12. I wanted to use R134 to be friendly to mother earth and that R12 is so expensive so I will keep the core un-repaired. Today I will secure the core in the case and start the reassembly of the dash.