Brake Drums - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Brake Drums

Featured Replies

Just finished installing new rear struts and bushings. I'm looking at painting the rear brake drums and am wondering if I should use high temp paint or just a good rust preventative spray paint? I know that the brakes can get hot, but is it hot enough to cause regular spray paint burn?

Thanks for any help.

1978 280Z coupe.

Just finished installing new rear struts and bushings. I'm looking at painting the rear brake drums and am wondering if I should use high temp paint or just a good rust preventative spray paint? I know that the brakes can get hot, but is it hot enough to cause regular spray paint burn?

Thanks for any help.

1978 280Z coupe.

They definitely get hot enough to damage regular paint...

I would use some of the Rustoleum high heat paint or even some of the "BBQ Black" paint. Even these will not be permanent, but will work well.

Be prepared for a little bit of "burning paint" smell regardless...

  • 5 months later...

Why not try some VHT satin clear header paint. Does not dry glossy and protects up to a high degree.

Why paint them? Fashion/style? It can make the heat dissipation worse. Although for drums on the rear this might not be an issue.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.