IGNORED

240Z Tach topping out to 8K whenever key is on

chocolate_supra

Title says it all. I've got a 72 240Z with a tach that tops out as soon as the key is turned to the on position, start position, and while the engine is running. Only way to stop it is to turn the key off. Pretty sure it's the tach itself and not wiring, etc because I just went through a bit of a situation with my ignition during which I tested and found the entire ignition circuit and every component to be perfectly fine. I'm about to pull the dash to replace the lights and would like to fix the tach, too. Any advice on what to look for and replace when I get the tach out and apart?

I tried measuring resistance on each (11 of them) in my '73 tach. I even tried replacing 2 of the resistors. Ultimately, since I wanted to keep the original tach I had it rebuilt. They basically replaced the entire guts with modern solid state. It is more accurate than the original was, and will accept a signal from either the original distributor , an electronic dizzy, or pertronics type ignition. It looks original but is dead on as compared with a timing gun. It cost me $175.00.

By the way, I just accidentally found this:

http://www.dinoplex.org/tachoconversion/index.html

but it looks like the final product is meant to work only with electronic ignition systems, which I'm not doing (yet). Has anyone seen any instructions like this on how to convert the tach to solid state that's compatible with the factory ignition? My dad knows electronics and we could put it together with instructions like this. Looks like fun, actually. :D