IGNORED

Replacing distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires, and more

bavarian06

When I took my car to get it tuned up, the mechanic mentioned in the near future I should consider replacing my cap, rotor, ignition wires, and ignition coil.

Granted the car is 40yrs old and everything can use a refresh or an update in components but I'm wondering if its a good idea to get it replaced or rather necessary. I'm going to place a large order from BD and was thinking of getting all the parts at once.

The car runs like a champ so I'm not too sure of the benefits. :ermm:

The cap and rotor should be replaced every 12,000 miles. The wires every 12,000 to 24,000. I don't replace the coil until it fails, its not a tune-up item.

Not mentioned in your parts list are the points & condenser and spark plugs, both which should be changed every 12,000 miles.

If it works don't fix it.

I usually follow that 90% of the time but I want to ensure the longevity of my car. It's like checking and replacing anything before something catastrophic happens. Like good habit of replacing timing belts, water pumps, fouled spark plugs, etc.

The service manual says to check gap and replace distributor breaker points if needed every 2K miles and for sure replacing it every 12K. And I just saw what Gary mentioned, spark plugs needs to be replaced every 12K. Guess I'll be buying the parts after all; maybe not install it right away.

When I took my car to get it tuned up, the mechanic mentioned ...

BTW, I don't like this part of your post at all. There is no job more satisfying to a vintage car owner then a tune-up. You're missing half of the ownership experience.

Surely, there must be a member nearby that would enjoy teaching you the art of the tune-up.

BTW, I don't like this part of your post at all. There is no job more satisfying to a vintage car owner then a tune-up. You're missing half of the ownership experience.

Surely, there must be a member nearby that would enjoy teaching you the art of the tune-up.

oh trust me, i would like that more than anything.

my friend taught me how to change brakes and suspension upgrades and i have been doing my own since then.

i'm just clueless when it comes to engine/transmission related.

i bought a new cap, wires, rotor, point n condensor, and spark plugs yesterday. anyone want to teach me how to install it? a case of beer for your time? :beer:

Bavarian, I'd just pick up a basic how-to book, in addition to the factory service manual for your car (about $80 off of Amazon or Ebay -- used, of course). With basic tools, plus a set of feeler gauges for spark plugs and point gaps, plus a good timing light, dwell/tach meter, vacuum gauge, you should be able to do all your own basic work. Like anything it's a learning curve, but you'll have fun doing it.

I disagree with the "if it ain't broke" advice. Many parts go bad gradually -- e.g. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points -- so there's no obvious point at which they're "broke." The engine will simply continue to lose efficiency, as you shell out too much $$$ for expensive gas.

I think most people drive their cars until they won't "go" anymore. Then they wonder what's wrong, and they expect it to be a single thing. Often a mechanic will fix a single thing, maybe two, and get the car to run again, albeit not well (since there are other problems remaining). However, the truth is that a car your age generally has MANY things wrong with it, even though it "runs good" (which is one of my favorite phrases from car ads). You should never let problems accumulate. People who stick to recommended maintenance schedules generally have better-running cars. People who drive until the car won't go anymore generally do not.

Edited by FastWoman

I purchased my first car in 1980 ('69 Camaro) at the tender young age of 18. The father of my best friend's advice was; "go to Sears and buy the largest tool kit you can afford, and while you're there get a tach/dwell, timing light and feeler gauges." Up to that point I'd been fixing my own dirtbikes but my friend's father taught me the finer points of automobile maintenance and repair. When I purchased my first 240Z in 1984 I added a few more special tools (like a Unisync).

Of all of the dirty jobs out there, a tune-up is the most enjoyable. While it can be self taught, having an experienced wrench "show you the ropes" does take a lot of anxiety out of the process and shortens the learning curve, not to mention it keeps the mistakes to a minimum.

There are enough Z owner's in SoCal that you should get a taker to teacher challenge. If not, you can buy me a tick to LAX. I'm DAMN tired of the snow.

Of all of the dirty jobs out there, a tune-up is the most enjoyable. While it can be self taught, having an experienced wrench "show you the ropes" does take a lot of anxiety out of the process and shortens the learning curve, not to mention it keeps the mistakes to a minimum.

my pt exactly. i'm sure i can read a DIY manual and try to figure it out but often times, words in print leads to mis-interprentations.

totally different when someone shows you how to do it and you try it yourself. its true what they say, people are visual learners.

plus i dont want to damage my car accidently (i'll never forgive myself if i did that).