IGNORED

BD B/S Weatherstrip

kjphilippona

:mad: Just noticed the new driver-side B/S Weatherstrip from BD that i installed October of last year is torn. Not sure if i should even waste my time contacting BD and order from another place. I looked at other suppliers and have a question, what is "Welting" ? I see it listed installed on some of the weatherstrip's for sale.

post-20308-14150813488698_thumb.jpg

Edited by kjphilippona

Having worked with weatherstrip products for 5 years, i have seen this problem many times. Rubber never forms the same every time and i should have seen this when i installed them but was to excited to finally getting new w/s so i was blind. I took comparison pictures of the passenger and driver's side w/s and there is a big difference between the profile size and i am sure this is why it made contact with the drivers side door panel enough times before if finally split :disappoin

post-20308-14150813489113_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150813489531_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150813489851_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150813490178_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150813490506_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150813490838_thumb.jpg

Seriously? nobody's got this? Wow....

The Welting is the ribbed strip that attaches to the body. Your weatherstripping has seperated from the welting. There are metal clips inside the rubber welting that can be resqueezed for a better grip on the body.

Original door weatherstripping consisted of 2 peices, The rubber weatherstripping and the welting (and still does, when you pay for original OEM weatherstripping) The rubber piece has a strip of thin rubber that lays over the metal of the body and the welting goes over that, to clamp it to the body.

So in your case, since you won't likely be able to return it, Get yourself some rubber contact cement. Wipe the rubber and the welting down with a rag dampened with rubbing alcohol. After it's clean and dry, brush a thin film on both pieces, allowthem to dry and become slightly tacky, then press them together.

Make sure it's aligned the way you want it, cause once it's on, it won't likely come apart without damage. The reproduction weatherstripping comes with the rubber and welting glued together.

Dave