IGNORED

new 280zx

mike260z

hi i just bought a 280zx very cheap, my intention is to learn how to restore the body by myself

there also 3 problems besides the body with this car:

1.- it throws a lot of white smoke when i accelerate

2.- 2nd gear doesnt get every time

3.- FI and turbo has been removed

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

:beer:

Are you wanting to fix the mechanical issues so you can drive the car while you are doing the body work? You might check www.paintucation.com for DVD help on skills building.

I'd guess the white smoke is a blown head gasket. Fairly common that they just rott out over time.

Transmission probably needs bearings and synchros.

Carb and manifold are off a Mexico market something or other. Not a Z anything we would see in the states. Looks like that carb has been around the worrld underwater.

thanks bruce!

i'll try to get those dvd's, and check those things you said on my car, the carb is definetely a Mexican engineering :S

i have one more question, the "NISSAN" valve cover is from the turbo version? the head is the p90 and the block is the f54, that means i have the L28ET (w/o the ET in my case)

thanks bruce!

i'll try to get those dvd's, and check those things you said on my car, the carb is definetely a Mexican engineering :S

i have one more question, the "NISSAN" valve cover is from the turbo version? the head is the p90 and the block is the f54, that means i have the L28ET (w/o the ET in my case)

That's not "Mexican Engineering". That's a non USA version of the L engine. That would explain the E30 manifold, the Hitachi 2 bbl carb, and the valve cover. Look at the engine number on the block. That engine is likely out of a Cedric 230, HGC10 or one on the other non USA sedans. Looking at the head I can see that that engine never had fuel injection.... Edited by sblake01

But that is a C10/230 intake setup.....strange. Thinking about it, I take back what I said about the engine 'never having fuel injection' as that would go with the manifold. I wonder how they got a hold of those non North America parts? And to go from a turbo to a 2 bbl carb? Talk about a downgrade!

Edited by sblake01

Congratulations on the "new" car and good work on finding all the important numbers on the engine. You probably know already about the free FSMs at http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html . Even with the modifications, there's probably still lots of useful information in the FSM for you.

A couple of notes on your pictures - your fuel line is about to split open at the carb (fire!) and it looks like the filter might be bypassed (rust!). And your brake fluid is low in what looks like might be a non-stock master cylinder and reservoir.

What's under the distributor cap, points or the electronic ignition setup?

But that is a C10/230 intake setup.....strange. Thinking about it, I take back what I said about the engine 'never having fuel injection' as that would go with the manifold. I wonder how they got a hold of those non North America parts? And to go from a turbo to a 2 bbl carb? Talk about a downgrade!

They still had patrols with the l28 with carbs didn't they?

So safe to assume that if this block is from a normally aspirated version the compression ratio would be higher than the turbo motor would have been?

The SU setup is a bolt on just as the "big boy" 2 barrel setup was. And runs the 2.8 just fine. Shameless plug for us.....

Compression check is definitely in order. Is the oil showing any indication of water in it? With the engine running is there any evidence of excess pressure build up in the radiator. When head gaskets go wierd things can happen in unusual places more than just coolant out the tail pipe.

Your current engine installed is a Non-Turbo engine,probably from a donor car.The turbo engine's oil filter was mounted at an angle not straight out from the block.The valve cover would also say turbo.(They loved to brag about their turbo)Your car was probably built factory turbo charged but anyone could of stuck in a non-turbo engine. Worst if someone wanted to get creative, a turbo BOOST gauge, Turbo shifter label, To look cool. But besides all that what if stuff. You got a nice car to work with and happy fixin