IGNORED

Failing to start

Tophu530

So basically a couple weeks back my car started to make a terrible screeching noise. So i bought a new water pump and installed that and it fixed the problem. A couple days later i had accidentally left the lights on and it had drianed the battery. I got a jump and it was running fine but then I went out and while i was crusing down hill my radio started tuning off and on and it eventually died. I jumped it in the morning and drove it home but i realized the amps were at negative when i drove with the lights on so i figured the altinator wasnt charging because i hadn't tightend the V belt enough when i installed the new water pump. So 2 days later i tightened the V belt and tried to start the car and it was dead which didnt really suprise me. I put the cables on and tried to start the car and lights would turn on but when i tried to crank it, it didnt really do much and wouldn't start. So i'm thinking the started might have gone bad or something. I'm really not to sure at the moment. Any help would be much great. Thx

Did this screeching sound come when you turn the key to try and crank the motor? if that is the case, it is most likely your starter that has worn out teeth. Depending on how "original" you want the car to be, you may want to invest in a upgraded MSA Alternator Kit with the solenoid plug. Replacing the battery may be a good option too, depending on how old it is.

Have you measured the actual voltage at the battery? Might just be enough to turn on the lights, but not enough to turn the starter. If the car won't start even with a fully charged battery, you might want to pull the starter and have it tested at an auto parts store.

Start by charging the battery. Your battery is discharged which could be why you are having difficulty jump-starting it. Charging system tests can be misleading if the battery is not fully charged. Once the battery is charged check the alternator output. The belt could be loose from the water pump repair. Another possibilty is the alternator or regulator could have failed.

I sounds like you pull what I call the electrical trifecta. OK jumping cars is not a great idea if you can get the battery charged instead, ya I know you can't do that everytime. The reason is it puts a strain on the altinator and voltage regulator, which might go out, then you put more strain on the battery that ends up damaging it. Mean while you have been cranking the starter a lot not at full power putting even more strain on the starter, battery and alternator. Then they begin to fail.

First thing and easiest thing to do is get the battery charged and tested, make sure all connections are clean. Auto Zone can check the battery. I know if you bring the car they can test the alternator and if it is out of the car, but see if their loan a tool program has a tester it's free once you return it. If your car won't turn over with the charged battery you won't be able to test the alternator and you need to check the starter they can test it out of the car also. If you have the time if they are shot take them to get restored (maybe not the battery) to a alternator and starter rebuild shop, you seem to get a better product for your car that way if you repair the altinator consider getting a new battery they are a team and like to go out together so why risk it after you repair the more expensive one of the two

By the way you will need to check the regulator to see if you didn't damage it. Follow the factory manual on this it will help

Edited by ajmcforester
A by the way