IGNORED

Suspension update (review)

Pomorza

Hello all

As I keep seeing a lot of chatter about the suspension kit MSA sells (eibach springs and tokico shocks) I decided to give my opinion on them as I just happened to put them on this weekend along with hyper flex bushings.

Bushings

The bushing were rather disappointing in my opinion for a number of reasons. First off not all the bushings fit. To be honest many of them were too large and required either sanding to fit or required me to use a lathe to make them fit. Once everything was together though I must say I'm rather please with how well they work. They are a bit loud at times but I can live with that. If you plan on using these be prepared for some finangling and choice words.

Springs

Eibach lowering springs I bought from MSA. They are shorter, as in A LOT shorter than the ones that are on the car. Don't be amazed when you first compare them with what you pulled off your car. The difference will be staggering at first. The shorter of the two pairs goes on the front while the longer ones go on the front. Once you have them installed they shouldn't lower the car very much. In my Z the front end dropped about 1/2 inch while the rear actually raised up about 1/4 in. or so. (and no I'm not joking it raised the rear end up.) In my experience doing the job spring compressor is needed to get the old springs off but not necessary to put the new ones on as they are so much shorter than the originals.

Struts

tokico come in the little packaged that MSA sells. They are direct bolt ins for what I can tell. They do come with instructions that they should be submerged in a light weight oil. There's a thread here about what to use, I just went with some 10w-30 oil in place of what was in the struts.

All in all my suspension is about 1000% better than it was before. The old suspension parts were all the stock originals so you all can image what that felt like driving. I'm not sure how I'll like it in a year or two but for now its great

Hope this helps everyone who has questions. If you have anymore don't fret to ask as I have the whole procedure engraved in my head at the moment.

Jan

Edited by Pomorza

Just thought I would mention this -- with my 240Z, I DID need a spring compressor to install both the front and rear Eibach Pro-kit springs (just so someone in the future reading this makes sure to get some compressors!).

Just thought I would mention this -- with my 240Z, I DID need a spring compressor to install both the front and rear Eibach Pro-kit springs (just so someone in the future reading this makes sure to get some compressors!).

Same here, although they did not require the amount of compression that the stock ones did. I have heard of the Tokico springs not needing a spring compressor, but I have no experience with those.

Thanks guys for the comments. On my Z neither the front nor the rear needed the compressors to put the springs in. I don't know if the ones I have are smaller or what but I swear that I just put them in and tightened the little bolt on top. Maybe 240's are shorter or something.

Thanks for clearing that up

Jan

My comments:

Bushings do not need any sanding or fitting to put them in place - at least I've never had to fit them and I've installed dozens of these kits. I think you might have not removed the steel bushing sleeves that are left behind when the old rubber bushings are removed.

IIRC, the Eibach springs should have the longer springs installed in front and the shorter springs installed in back. Its been a while since I installed a set but I think that's the correct way.

My comments:

Bushings do not need any sanding or fitting to put them in place - at least I've never had to fit them and I've installed dozens of these kits. I think you might have not removed the steel bushing sleeves that are left behind when the old rubber bushings are removed.

IIRC, the Eibach springs should have the longer springs installed in front and the shorter springs installed in back. Its been a while since I installed a set but I think that's the correct way.

The instruction said specifically not to remove the sleeve. I used a micrometer to measure the diameter of the hole with the sleeve in and out. With it in the diameter was too small to fit the bushing. With it removed the bushing would not sit right as it would be way too loose.

I'm not sure about the spring but I have the shorter ones on the front and the longer ones on the rear. There's a thread here about which one is which and I check a number of times before installing them. Car sits and drive great so I can't complain.

Jan