IGNORED

Wiring Upgrades

Rich1

Rich1, I can tell you from my experience since I posted in the thread Zs-ondabrain linked that the Eiko bulbs discussed there work perfectly. They're cheap too!

Be warned though, that one of the bulbs was DOA, so if you change them with the dash out of the car, try to figure out a way to test them before you reinstall the dash.

The gauges are definitely brighter with the 4W bulbs vs. the 3.4W bulbs.

I would probably not upgrade to the 4W bulbs without getting the parking light harness to take the load out of the fuse box. Higher wattage bulbs will just increase the current draw through that circuit, and the most people have so many issues with their fusebox already...

It's definitely good that you intend to do all the fixes at once.

One final thought--any suggestions on upgrading headlights? How are the H-4s sold by MSA?
Over the past 35 years, I have personal experience with at least 10 different brands of H4 lights in the 7" round size. All of the cheap, clear lens lights (technically called MSR for Multi Surface Reflector) are - as Dave noted - crap when compared to good, name-brand H4s. (I will admit to the clear lens MSRs being a bit better than sealed beams, though.)

The very best I've used are Hella E-code (not the DOT approved version). Good range, broad pattern with minimal shadows. Cibié, Bosch and IPF are all quite good as well. Auto-Pal, Wipac, Lucas, Stanley and Carello are decent, but not quite as good as those top four brands. The DOT-approved Hellas are in the decent group as well.

What about projectors?
I'm not aware of any true projector H4 lights in 7" round. Indeed, an H4 bulb won't work properly in a projector assembly.

"Projector-look" H4 lights are a sales gimmick, and rank with the cheap MSR garbage.

Edited by Arne