Sign in to follow this  
mbarjbar

color change v. value

I have a 1970 Z that was originally 907 Green. PDO painted it white. I am going to have the car blasted and repainted. I am torn between keeping this early car (4095) original or change to a modern color, i.e., platinum gray micas or metallic. Opinions wanted. Will it drastically devalue the car? I was leaning toward original, but every green car I see, seems to look dirty.

Mike

First, It is your car, so do with it what makes you happy.

If I were going to do a color change, then it would have to be complete (engine bay, interior, rear deck).

Staying with the OEM color is safer and cheaper which is what I did. I have to say that a major factor that I stayed with the original color was because I just did not want to go to all of the effort to gut my Z to that level (e.g. I was lazy). I also really like the 510 Sky Blue Metallic.

I did consider doing the Electric Blue from an '05 Infiniti G35, but I liked the 510 Blue better.

So, 907 Green or whatever turns you on - It is your car, do with it what makes you happy.

If you are going to blast it down to metal all over as Zcurves mentions above you can choose from any of about 15 stock colors for the early series 1 cars.

There is no permanent coding on the car that states the original color.

I'm going through the same dilemma regarding color choice. My '73 was 113 Avocado Green, which is not something I'd be interested in driving around in. I'll either paint it 918 Orange (an iconic 240Z color), or 901 Silver (always a safe color), and restore it 100% original, requiring an interior color change from Butterscotch (that vinyl is NLA) to Black, or just go with a non-original color altogether, do a "sympathetic" restoration, and have fun with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks guys. When I restored my MGB, it was bronze yellow. 240s had the same color, sort of a butterscotch orange. Anyway, I went with a Mazda color call galaxy gray mica.

It brought the car into the 21st century. I think my 'Z' would look good in this color too.

BTW, I am ditching the butterscotch interior for black also.

post-18000-14150812178676_thumb.jpg

post-18000-14150812179294_thumb.jpg

BTW, I am ditching the butterscotch interior for black also.

Can you tell me more about that interior, i'm on lookout for some butterscotch interior parts.

Chris

...I've be jonesn' for an MGB...
    Been there, done that, threw away the T-shirt. A Z is a lot more fun to drive.

mg7.jpg

First, It is your car, so do with it what makes you happy.
    I agree 100%.
    If I were going to do a color change, then it would have to be complete (engine bay, interior, rear deck).

Staying with the OEM color is safer and cheaper which is what I did.

I agree here, too. If you're going to do a color change, anything less than a complete bare-shell deal will reduce the desirability of the car to many people, and therefore its value.

A non-stock color may or may not reduce the value further, depending on the rest of the car. If you are intending to keep it stock and unmodified, a non-OE color will ruin the effect, and the value will drop. But if the car is going to be modified, especially in a non-period manner, a well-done modern color is probably not too big of a detriment.

Edited by Arne

Arne, don't be so hard on the 'B'. I have a blast with mine and I can put the top down.....

Gary, 'B's are out there, just as with the 'Z', look out for rust, especially in the sills.

ChrisZ, PM me regarding interior parts. Some of the plastic is good, vinyl trim is pretty good and would clean up.

Mike

Mike, PM on it's way, thanks.

Chris

Bwt, why MGB when you can get a SPL311 ? ;)

Arne, don't be so hard on the 'B'. I have a blast with mine and I can put the top down.....
    If you enjoy it, I'm all for that. I towed home a basket case '67 (pictured above) and spent 4 years restoring it. Had a blast hunting down all manner of obscure parts for it, and rebuilding everything. I think the only bits that didn't have my fingerprints on them was the internals of the banjo diff. Drove it two more years after it was done before I admitted to myself that hunting parts and restoring it was lots more fun than just driving it. Sold it in '95 and haven't missed it a bit. Edited by Arne

Approximately on the same subject, I had a '66 mustang that was Firemist Blue (a 1970's GM color), but the engine compartment was painted black, with the blue on the underside of the hood. The paint job was awsome -- done by the PO. The car was definitely not done to resemble stock. I rather liked the way it was done.

Anyway my Z is in need of some body work (and then obviously paint), and I'm evaluating my options. I thought the blacked out engine compartment worked well for the Mustang. I'm wondering whether I should consider doing the same for the Z. I would probably be changing body color to a non-OEM color like a deep metallic red. Would a black engine compartment be a turn-off? Perhaps a semi-matte surface (unlike the Mustang, which was glossy)? Opinions?

Edited by FastWoman

I have a two seater that the PO or the PO before that changed from white to some bloody terrible shade of non nissan blue. The interior paint was left the original white and the whole thing does not do much for me at all.

The car is now going through a slow staged refresh starting from the ground up and I had the engine bay and the underneath of the car painted black while the engine and gearbox were removed. The rest of the car will be returned to white with black fibreglass bumpers, black vents in the bonnet and possibly black mirrors - can easily change any or all of the black exterior items to white if it does not look the goods. The interior is black.

I know the black in the engine bay has been discussed in other threads and members offered differing opinions on what they thought best. For me, black engine bays flow well into the underside of the car and look great when the car is viewed from underneath when they are raised on a hoist. I do think that the underside of the bonnet / hood looks great if left the same as the exterior colour of the car.

However, if I was Mike in the original post and doing a blast and full respray on a vehicle that is likely to be kept original, then I would probably only do a colour change if it was to be a full high quality respray.

Edited by boyblunda
    Clarifying comment.

If your leaning toward original colors, I wonder about a complete color changeover to another original color. How would that effect the value? Do you like any other original colors?

If it's not a survivor wearing original paint, but the repaint is at least as good and comprehensive as the factory paint job was, I think it does not matter what color it is, the value will be stable...assuming you don't pick too eccentric a color or scheme.

noble-m600-prototype.jpg

Approximately on the same subject, I had a '66 mustang that was Firemist Blue (a 1970's GM color), but the engine compartment was painted black, with the blue on the underside of the hood. The paint job was awsome -- done by the PO. The car was definitely not done to resemble stock. I rather liked the way it was done.

Anyway my Z is in need of some body work (and then obviously paint), and I'm evaluating my options. I thought the blacked out engine compartment worked well for the Mustang. I'm wondering whether I should consider doing the same for the Z. I would probably be changing body color to a non-OEM color like a deep metallic red. Would a black engine compartment be a turn-off? Perhaps a semi-matte surface (unlike the Mustang, which was glossy)? Opinions?

Sarah,

FWIW, my personal preference is for the engine compartment paint to match the rest of the car. While a black engine compartment certainly looks much better than one with original paint that doesn't match the rest of the car, I believe 100% matching paint is the way to go on a classic Z car.

Our 240Z's had matching paint in the engine copartments.

However, many domestic cars of the same time period had matte black engine compartments, regardless of the exterior paint color. If I recall correctly, for some "show" Mustangs, the paint shop has to replicate the correct amont of black overspray at the base of the firewall or they lose points. Also, exterior paint surface finish is supposed replicate the correct amount of orange-peel.