IGNORED

color change v. value

mbarjbar

I have a 1970 Z that was originally 907 Green. PDO painted it white. I am going to have the car blasted and repainted. I am torn between keeping this early car (4095) original or change to a modern color, i.e., platinum gray micas or metallic. Opinions wanted. Will it drastically devalue the car? I was leaning toward original, but every green car I see, seems to look dirty.

Mike

First, It is your car, so do with it what makes you happy.

If I were going to do a color change, then it would have to be complete (engine bay, interior, rear deck).

Staying with the OEM color is safer and cheaper which is what I did. I have to say that a major factor that I stayed with the original color was because I just did not want to go to all of the effort to gut my Z to that level (e.g. I was lazy). I also really like the 510 Sky Blue Metallic.

I did consider doing the Electric Blue from an '05 Infiniti G35, but I liked the 510 Blue better.

So, 907 Green or whatever turns you on - It is your car, do with it what makes you happy.

I'm going through the same dilemma regarding color choice. My '73 was 113 Avocado Green, which is not something I'd be interested in driving around in. I'll either paint it 918 Orange (an iconic 240Z color), or 901 Silver (always a safe color), and restore it 100% original, requiring an interior color change from Butterscotch (that vinyl is NLA) to Black, or just go with a non-original color altogether, do a "sympathetic" restoration, and have fun with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks guys. When I restored my MGB, it was bronze yellow. 240s had the same color, sort of a butterscotch orange. Anyway, I went with a Mazda color call galaxy gray mica.

It brought the car into the 21st century. I think my 'Z' would look good in this color too.

BTW, I am ditching the butterscotch interior for black also.

post-18000-14150812178676_thumb.jpg

post-18000-14150812179294_thumb.jpg

...I've be jonesn' for an MGB...
Been there, done that, threw away the T-shirt. A Z is a lot more fun to drive.

mg7.jpg

First, It is your car, so do with it what makes you happy.
I agree 100%.
If I were going to do a color change, then it would have to be complete (engine bay, interior, rear deck).

Staying with the OEM color is safer and cheaper which is what I did.

I agree here, too. If you're going to do a color change, anything less than a complete bare-shell deal will reduce the desirability of the car to many people, and therefore its value.

A non-stock color may or may not reduce the value further, depending on the rest of the car. If you are intending to keep it stock and unmodified, a non-OE color will ruin the effect, and the value will drop. But if the car is going to be modified, especially in a non-period manner, a well-done modern color is probably not too big of a detriment.

Edited by Arne

Arne, don't be so hard on the 'B'. I have a blast with mine and I can put the top down.....

Gary, 'B's are out there, just as with the 'Z', look out for rust, especially in the sills.

ChrisZ, PM me regarding interior parts. Some of the plastic is good, vinyl trim is pretty good and would clean up.

Mike

Arne, don't be so hard on the 'B'. I have a blast with mine and I can put the top down.....
If you enjoy it, I'm all for that. I towed home a basket case '67 (pictured above) and spent 4 years restoring it. Had a blast hunting down all manner of obscure parts for it, and rebuilding everything. I think the only bits that didn't have my fingerprints on them was the internals of the banjo diff. Drove it two more years after it was done before I admitted to myself that hunting parts and restoring it was lots more fun than just driving it. Sold it in '95 and haven't missed it a bit. Edited by Arne

• 3 months later...