IGNORED

New here, need some help ie.. disrtibutor

red99frc

It could be the pick up coils are bad, I'll try to find in the FSM how to check them. If they are they're like 95 dollars at the cheapest! might as well get the whole dizzy.

If you get a spark then i would expect that your pickup is ok. This sounds rather like mixed up spark wires or a too advanced or retarded ignition timing.

Check your spark plug wiring to really make sure you didnt mix up one or two cylinders. If in doubt, start the engine and let it idle, now plug one spark plug at a time (don't get zapped) and listen to the engine, does it run a bit smoother? Then the spark plug in question was wired to the wrong cylinder. If it does not change, the corresponding wire or plug might be broken.

Also check the ignition advance with a timing light (vacuum disconnected), is the advance correct at idle?

It was running earlier, it'll idle, and as soon as you get on the gas, it just falls on its face. The plugs are black too. Its got a new ig. coil. plugs were put in last night. I hate to just start throwing parts at it ya know?

This would indicate a too retarded ignition timing.

Thanks Alhbln, I did get the distributor correct, and the wires right. She revs good, sounds nice. Pull out the driveway good power second gear good power, nice N stiff shift, then a few seconds later it falls on its face, and I have to limp home.

Fuel pump has 13.5V I haven't checked the pressure, but the pump is a new Napa pump, and is working good. I've even tried pinching the fuel return hose off, and that doesn't seem to help. When it cuts off, and you run the pump it'll crank, and run good for a few seconds, then the same thing.

This indicates a problem with the fuel supply, your carbs are running empty and then the engine dies.

Check the fuel lines and filters and clean accordingly, if there is rust and gunk in the filters then your fuel tank will need a good cleaning too.

Then check the fuel pressure at the fuel line feeding the carbs, your workshop manual will list the correct pressure for your carb setup (probably somewhere between 2.5-3.5 psi).

Also make sure that the Napa pump is the correct size and delivers enough fuel and pressure.

Napa pump has 13.5V, delivers it says 95PSI.

No carbs EFI

The tank was etched and sent off to be sealed.

I'm suspecting the air meter, it will idle, but now dies when you push the gas at all, it will rev a bit when you finger the air meter. I recently took the injectors off, and cleaned the screens on the tops, and added a new fuel filter too.

Plugs are bone white. it won't even rev if you adjust the air meter spring either way. I found that the air intake temp sensor reads too low in ohms at 75*F its at about 1500 ohms give or take, the website said 68*C should be around 2500ohms, its reading way off I guess. So I'm going to try a new air meter.