turbo clutch in a 240Z? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

turbo clutch in a 240Z?

Featured Replies

I am in the planning process of bumping up the HP of my 1973 240Z. Nothing radical. I plan to keep my SU's and keep things looking stock(ish). I'm leaning towards a 3.0L short block and maybe some head exhaust and cam work. In the end I suspect I will be somewhere in between 200 and 250 crank HP.

I have done a bunch of reading about clutch/flywheel options and I have come to the conclusion that a stock l28et clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing from a 1981 turbo 280ZX should hold the power that I plan to make. I think if I couple it to a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and install a 1981 clutch collar everything should work fine.

Does this sound right? Does anyone know of any issues with this clutch/flywheel setup?

I run the Fidenza 240mm flywheel with a Centerforce II clutch in my 3.L NA 240 w/ZX 5-spd. I've had with no issues whatsoever and I drive it hard. The rpm drop off real quick with the lighter wheel so be forewarned.

Not sure why you'd go with a stock clutch but if you don't get on it why not.

  • Author

Does the fast rpm drop cause any drivability issues?

None that you can't work around. For most normal driving applications it doesn't matter but when you want to match rpm during downshifts say in a race or near race use sot hat you don't upset the balance of the car then you need to blip the throttle.

None that you can't work around. For most normal driving applications it doesn't matter but when you want to match rpm during downshifts say in a race or near race use sot hat you don't upset the balance of the car then you need to blip the throttle.

So what are the plus's of the Fidanza flywheel?

Incidentally I'm planning to use the turbo clutch in my rally car build on the basis that they are used in some Australian built safari rally cars without any issues as far as I know.

Edited by Nigel1943

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Other than the lighter mass attached to the crankshaft allowing it to spin with less effort?

  • Author

I love the sound of a car with a lightened flywheel. The extra throttle response gives that "super car" sound. The extra acceleration doesn't hurt either.;)

Here's a quick vid to show what I am talking about...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.