IGNORED

Hissing sound

Eli_Ink

There is a hissing sound coming from near my fuel pump. I can't locate it exactly but it's the same area. Anyway I only hear this hissing sound when I put the key into the ignition and power is supplied to the engine. Any ideas?

Fuel pump leak or maybe a seal?

-Eli

Mine is also a 78 280z, And I know it isn't supposed to make this noise as it only started after I had a full inspection done n the car a year ago. Also now it won't idle for long. the care turns off without the gas peddle being pressed.

-Eli

ok sounds like a failing pump. or clogged lines. the pump could make different noises depending on the situation. like mine makes a pumping noise but gets quieter when the pressure builds up to 30 or so psi. but it is loud as hell when i first turn it on in the morning. for your sake, you could have a leak, but you should be smelling gas without turning the car on. if you cant smell gas. then it might be something else, like failing pump or blockage as in it could be trying to suck fuel out of the tank but can only get a tiny bit because its clogged and could be making a hissing noise because of it.

so do this.

get a hold of a fuel pressure tester, and hook it up at your fuel rail before your fuel pressure regulator, and turn on your key, see if it ever even gets up to 30 or so psi. if it doesnt or does but doesnt stay. clogged, leak, or failing pump.

you got yourself a leak sir! there are rubber hoses where the fuel pump is. so check those, and then there are rubber hoses on the passenger side front where the fuel filter is and then on the fuel rail. since you smell the gas at the pump, check those. crawl under the car you can see it mounted to the body.

Oh man ha ha ok I'll try but here another kicker. I don't have ANY tools. :stupid:

And this is why I really just need someone to help me take a look at it and maybe even assist me in the repairs. I GOTZ money, I just don't want to get taken for a fool. :ogre: