IGNORED

wheel cylinders ?

zhead240

the brakes in my 72 zed need repair. the other day all of a sudden i pushed on the brake pedal and i had to press all the way to the floor and the car slowed down. first thought are the rear wheel cylinders. i recall there are two different cylinders, an early and late for the 240. is that correct. my build date is 10/72.

the change was after 6/72. Your rear wheel cylinders are the easier and less expensive ones to buy. The only real difference that I've found is the angle of the inlet for the hard-line to go into the cylinder. The pre 6/72 has about a 45 degree angle as apposed to the post 6/72's 90 degree.

You can use the pre 6/72 cylinder if you also switch out the hardlines that half circle the circumference of the back plate on the drum brakes. But I would stick with the style of cylinder that you have and just rebuild or replace them.

Dave

Go to your local auto supply and buy a couple of 2'steel flex lines and a $10.00 line bender and you can bend a line to fit to the wheel cylinder if you happen to get the wheel cylinder with a different angle.

Otherwise the wheel cylinders are interchangeable.

Casey